Couple issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STEELRAIN

Reaction score
Alright, these two issues have me stumped.
1. My brake pedal dosnt always return after being depressed, causing excessive ware and decreased fuel mileage.

2. The truck will not go into park. I have to start it in neutral. And I can't park on a hill as it will just roll down it.

The expy is a 97 5.4 XLT.

Any advice would be great.

thewishkah

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The brake issues sounds like a master cylinder issue, check for fluid leaks in the brake system including leaking into the servo. The second issue sounds like you may need to get under the dash and tighten the bolts that come lose commonly near the column. When they get lose its hard to shift into park. This is where I would start for that issue.

OP
OP
S

STEELRAIN

Reaction score
Thx for the info. I will check out the brake master cylinder and the shift bolt.

OP
OP
S

STEELRAIN

Reaction score
Master cylinder looks fine. Good fluid lvl and no leaks. How do I get to the shift bolt?. Do I have to take the whole dash off or can I just take off the shroud around the steering column?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What color is your brake fluid - in the reservoir? If it looks black from the outside it is past time to change it.

OP
OP
S

STEELRAIN

Reaction score
Fluid is a bit dark, will change fluid.
Glad i don't have to take the whole dash apart.
Thx y'all.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can't determine if a master cylinder has failed by looking at it. All the moving parts are inside and seals will break down over time. Unless you have pulled the master cylinder off, disassembled and measured/inspected the components, it still is #1 on the list for failure.

Don't take the mc off and disassemble it. Leave that to the reman shops.

Last edited:

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the master cyl can be had for pretty cheap, Mine failed causing intermittent front brake failure on the initial depress. the pedal would go to the floor and almost lock up the rear wheels.

this video also helped when I had the same problem on a friends f-150 during a heater core replacement.