Crazy starting isuues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems like 19 out of 20 times it starts perfect. Then the moment that it takes 10 minutes to fire up. The starter & battery are doing fine to crank. I just don't know if the injectors or plugs are not firing.

One weird thing is that the odometer kind of resets to the trip meter, with 0 miles. I'm not sure if the PATS or computer module is messing with anything.

Then eventually it will fire up as though no issues are happening. Does anyone have ideas for dealing with this issue?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to check all the electrical connections to the dash and pats before really jumping into this.
Next time it doesn't start firmly smack the dash and give it a shot at starting.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not quite sure I understand what the actual issue is when it fails to start...

turn the key, and nothing?
turn the key, engine turns over but does not fire?
turn the key, engine starts then quits right away?

OP
OP
A

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not quite sure I understand what the actual issue is when it fails to start...

turn the key, and nothing?
turn the key, engine turns over but does not fire?
turn the key, engine starts then quits right away?

turn the key, engine turns over but does not fire? That's the one.

IrnBru

Reaction score
Kind of weird, mine started doing something similar today. Ran fine 15 minutes before it happened. Try to start and no fire. Cranks just fine, it did start one time and idled fine until I gave it some throttle then it start missing and died. Then it wouldn't restart. I'm thinking fuel pump but who knows?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In today's world, that is why every tool box needs a scanner, a dvm and at least a fuel pressure gauge. Now if you have money to burn a good scope would be king.

OP
OP
A

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As of today, after an hour and a half of trying, and all I got was a 2 second fire of about 2 cylinders. I depressed the valve on the fuel rail, expecting a spray of gas, but got nothing. I'll put yet another new filter in.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't waste your time and money on fuel filters just yet. Get a fuel pressure gauge and see what the pressure is when you first turn it to the on position.
If your not getting the correct pressure it won't run.

This is what we use at work on the lift pumps (fuel pump) for the buses:

http://www.tooltopia.com/actron-cp7838.aspx

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The bottom half of my truck is rust. Could be a crapload of sediment in the tank...I don't know. Had the same issue earlier this year, with a code. I had replaced the filter, and got good results for about 5 months.

In the self diagnostic mode, no dtc codes are shown. If I hook a fuel pressure gage up and no pressure is shown, could that still be because of a clogged filter? I'm hoping not a pump.