cruse and horn not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agreyling

Reaction score
recently purchased a 2000 and trying to work out all the little bugs. A couple i am yet to understand are.

1 the horn does not work when truck is running, but works fine when truck is off?

2 the cruse control does not work.

any ideas?:banghead:

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
idk bout the horn but the cruise control cheek the vacuum motor and see if it is hooked up and works ive had that on a f-150 before. but theres also the obvious fuses and relays im sure youve already cheeked.

Demontang

Reaction score
Would suspect that you need a new clock spring. My horn and cruise don't work either and I've had other rigs that had the same problems which it was the connection in the clock spring

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i wouldn't think to hard just pull the air bag then the steering wheel and it should be right there.
right Demontang?
i think our airbags have four screws then the one 3/4 or so sized nut or bolt for the steering wheel.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems odd that it the horn works when the truck isn't running but doesn't when it is. If you have a test light check for power at the horn first in both situations before taking stuff apart. Could be a ground problem that shows with vibration.
If you do remove the air bag keep in mind you have a bomb in your hands. Do not apply any voltage to the terminals. When handling the air bag have it facing away from you in case it does get set off. Otherwise you'll have a very bad day. Once the air bag is out, you can short/jump the terminals in the column to test the horn operation.

Demontang

Reaction score
To change the clock spring you'll need to pull the air bag and steering wheel. To pull the airbag siconnect the battery for at least 10min then ground yourself to the truck. Static can set of the air bag FYI, Thebotwo on the back of the steering wheel are what holds the air bag in. You can test the power to the horn and cruz there too.