CV boot replacement on front half-shafts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their CV boots on the front half-shafts? or is this something we have to just get new/replacement half-shafts...

Thanks!!

catmandu

Reaction score
My personal opinion is if the boot has broken then water might have done some damage to the grease, twenty bucks more gets you a reman'd half shaft with at least a 3yr/36k warranty, sometimes lifetime.

IL67BP

Reaction score
Go with a new shaft. I could not find the damn cone to stretch the boot anywhere. Other tools were 200+ I have the boot if you decide to deal with that ill sell it but I definitely recommend going with the new shaft. Advance auto had one in stock and its a straight forward quite quick fix.

IL67BP

Reaction score
Sorry I did not see that you have a 2004 so I don't think the boot I have will fit but my position stands unless for some reason you do not have to stretch the boot on the 04 but I doubt it

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The labor is actually a bit less to just replace the entire shaft. That would just leave it up to parts cost.

Personally, I'd never change a boot, it just seems like a job half done to me.

Lumbee1388

Reaction score
Im going to go with everyone else on this one and say replace the whole thing. I did mine my self on both sides and it only took about 4 hours, its not that hard just a bit messy.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree also. Just change the whole shaft. You get new boots and joints and don't have to worry if water or anything else has shortend the life of the joint.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2