DANGIT! How long is it safe to drive with a tiny heater core leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir William

Reaction score
Driving home this evening, we started smelling antifreeze. It's sure enough the front heater core as there was virtually no smell with the temp set to 60, but as soon as you start turning the temp up, you get a fairly strong smell. It did start to dissipate after a mile or two, but it was there as even my 5-yr old complained.

I checked all around the floorboard and and console area and saw no indication of leak/dripping, so I assume it's a very tiny pinhole/crack. Also, when we arrived home, I checked the tank under the hood and there was certainly a fair bit of pressure, so it's not losing much coolant for sure.

So the big question is *should* I be OK to drive it for a few days until I can get the parts I need and the time to tackle it? How long have some of you gone with a slight leak? We're scheduled to go out of town tomorrow on about a 300 mile round trip. Any stories, ideas, recommendations, warnings, sagely advice, etc. I can get would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:

crackhead

Reaction score
Driving home this evening, we started smelling antifreeze. It's sure enough the front heater core as there was virtually no smell with the temp set to 60, but as soon as you start turning the temp up, you get a fairly strong smell. It did start to dissipate after a mile or two, but it was there as even my 5-yr old complained.

I checked all around the floorboard and and console area and saw no indication of leak/dripping, so I assume it's a very tiny pinhole/crack. Also, when we arrived home, I checked the tank under the hood and there was certainly a fair bit of pressure, so it's not losing much coolant for sure.

So the big question is *should* I be OK to drive it for a few days until I can get the parts I need and the time to tackle it? How long have some of you gone with a slight leak? We're scheduled to go out of town tomorrow on about a 300 mile round trip. Any stories, ideas, recommendations, warnings, sagely advice, etc. I can get would be great. Thanks!

You could just bypass it for now. Where do you live and where are you traveling to? Can you survive without heat until you fix it?

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
buy a 5/8 coupler and some clamps. you can leave the core connected but the coupler will help if the core bursts. also. keep some extra coolant with you (about two gallons)

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is not too healthy to inhale all that stuff plus it causes all your windows to fog like a b#$%^. It happened to me and i actually drove around with a slight leak for like 2 to three weeks before i realized i had to change the heater core.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just as a side comment, i had another coolant leak in my engine bay at the same time as the heater core so i thought it was a faulty hose in the engine bay and that was the source of my fog. I was sadly wrong

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your almost just installing the bypass before your trip so you dont have the chance of having an issue. Field fixes are never fun.

OP
OP
Sir William

Sir William

Reaction score
Ok, took the trip today. Coolant level was fine and still building pressure, so I wasn't too worried about that. It was sunny so we just left the heat off during the day. A couple times we would get a whiff of antifreeze, but it would quickly dissipate. Then for about 45 minutes, I got a tiny bit of hazing on the lower windshield (from steam I suppose) then that went away. It was colder driving home tonight so we turned the heat on......normal. No smell other than a tiny residual. Heat worked fine, nobody complained. All was normal. Make that make sense!

I'm wondering if maybe the previous owner had put some stop leak type stuff in and it let go then resealed since there could still be some in suspension in the coolant. Either way, I'm still going to replace it, but I don't feel it's as dire a situation, and I can try to do it on my time table when I have a pretty day or two to tear the danged thing apart. Also, I can get the parts from RockAuto and save a couple bucks rather than AutoZone.

Frank McGrath

Reaction score
Has anyone tried stop leak to seal the heater core? Will it work for a temp fix until I can get the core replaced? I really don't want to use the stop leak, but Its cold.