'--------' (Dashes) in odometer, won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IvDogg

Reaction score
Hello all, I broke my '99 XLT trying to fix the http://www.expeditionforum.com/f27/flickering-odometer-16847/ ....

I'd add some solder on the contacts, then it would work fine for a couple weeks... After the third time trying to fix it I must have messed up the circuit board somehow...

Now I when I turn the ignition to the on position the odometer shows all dashes, random warning lights stay on, when I try and start it, it almost sounds like it's about to crank, then I just get clicks and the theft light starts flickering.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure I messed up the cluster.

I managed to find a spare cluster from a 2000 EB at a junk yard. When I connect it, everything looks fine, odometer displays, but of course, when I try and start it I get clicks then the theft light starts flickering.

Should re-flashing the cluster solve my problem? Even if it's from a 2000 EB? What's the going rate for the dealer to do this? I called the dealer the other day, they were trying to beat around the bush on an estimate, said they want to diagnose the problem first. Anybody got some suggestions for getting the dealer to do just what I'm asking?

I called some small local auto electronic shop, they quoted me $150 to re-flash. Sounds like a good price, does it sound like a re-flash of the 2000 EB cluster should solve it?

Thanks everyone, sorry about the super long post.

B

bedrck46

you do need to have the newer instrument reprogramed Your best bet would be to take it to the dealership and ask what it would cost They would also have access to the original information by using you VIN number. Before having a local shop reprogram it I would ask how and what information they use to get the original information. Not sure if you got the ford service manual the there is a write up in the manual on changing the instrument cluster

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When reworking a pc board the only thing you really need to be careful of is overheating the copper traces and/or staying on a trace so long that it overheats a component. When a trace is overheated they will release from the board.
If your original board is still available post a pic of your repair, you still may be able to save it with some solder wick. Since you have reworked it 3 times, if you have been adding solder each time you may have shorts at the connector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
If I'm replacing just the instrument cluster everything needs to be re-programmed? I figured it was just a matter of matching the keys to the PATS and setting the odometer, is it more than that?

you do need to have the newer instrument reprogramed Your best bet would be to take it to the dealership and ask what it would cost They would also have access to the original information by using you VIN number. Before having a local shop reprogram it I would ask how and what information they use to get the original information. Not sure if you got the ford service manual the there is a write up in the manual on changing the instrument cluster

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
Solder wick sounds like a good idea... I'll post a pic... Probably will be a few days before I can work on it, maybe not till the weekend.

When reworking a pc board the only thing you really need to be careful of is overheating the copper traces and/or staying on a trace so long that it overheats a component. When a trace is overheated they will release from the board.
If your original board is still available post a pic of your repair, you still may be able to save it with some solder wick. Since you have reworked it 3 times, if you have been adding solder each time you may have shorts at the connector.