Day 2 of Expy ownership. Need some help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snozberries

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So with all of the motivation I could muster I went out to oreilly auto parts to get filters, oil, plugs, etc for my expedition. Switched everything out but the plugs, holy cow are those plugs hard to get to, and am feeling pretty good about the truck.

Only issue is a whole lot of front end squeaking when turning. None of the suspension components look too terrible (I'm definitely not an expert though) except for the cv half shaft boot has pulled away from the joint. I don't think the CV axle is what is making this squeaking noise though. From what I've read here I'm suspecting the ball joints.

I'm definitely not flush with cash right now, and am wondering if I would be doing any harm by getting under there and spaying all of the bushings with silicone and also greasing everything I can find with a fitting. I know thats just a temporary thing but I'd like to get rid of this squeaking until I can afford the 1000 dollars its going to cost to replace the ball joints if thats what the problem is.

Lastly, I checked the ATF fluid after the truck had been sitting for a day and it was past the do not add line. It looked pretty red which I suppose is good but can't understand why the fluid would be that full. Is this a big problem?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check e-bay for parts also go to mogg.com and get part numbers
I replaced the lower ball joints and upper control arms both sides for much less (approx. $150.00) than the price you mention

you may get different opinions about mogg but I have never had any problems plus they do come with grease fittings

also check prices on rock auto

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

snozberries

Reaction score
Will do, thank you for the advice.

I'm not really in a position to do the job myself so I was guessing with labor and parts it'd get pretty pricey. Haha plus I'm in an apartment complex and they'd probably evict me if I put my truck up on jacks and start taking the suspension apart. I know its pretty lame to say I think I'll need to have a mechanic do it on an expedition forum but just being honest with myself!

Still though I'll look at those parts to make sure I don't get gouged by the mechanic when I do take it in. Any opinion on silicone spray? I really don't know if it is the ball joints so I thought maybe I'd go through and spray every joint I could get my hands on. I know that's kind of sloppy but I'm really just looking for a temp fix until I can pay to fix the underlying issue. Could I do harm with that spray? Is there something I should use instead. I know I could get a grease gun but I wasn't sure if that was just for the components with grease fittings. I apologize for the newbieness.

Thanks for the advice!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
understand I was checking and the same parts lower ball joints and both upper control from e-bay about $150.00, From Rock auto about $150.00 From oreilly auto parts $299.99

what you could do is check around and see what a shop would charge you for labor if you provided the parts

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could use silicone spray as it wont hurt
wd-40 on the other hand is just a water displacement spray

OP
OP
S

snozberries

Reaction score
Wow 150 is a deal. Thank you for looking at that. Sounds like a plan. I'll lube everything up and order the parts next week. Thank you! How about the ATF being so full? Should I go ahead and drain it and refill? Hate to waste what looks like good fluid but i will if it's an issue.

Thanks for the help

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the ATF will read full when it sits get the expy up to operating temp after driving it and while the engine is at idle then check the ATF level

the prices I posted were on line prices
shop around for the parts on e-bay as the prices vary greatly also go with free shipping

no sure but I think rock auto charges for shipping

if you buy from an e-bay vendor from your state you may have sales tax so consider buying from a out of state vendor

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the squeaking when turning is 99% likely to be the lower ball joints. I had mine replaced (diy) and every so often they start to squeak again, add a little lube through the zerk fitting and it's quiet again.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed on the lower ball joints. I think labor from the shop would be a round 3-400 bucks so you are looking at about 5-700 depending on the cost of parts. I also went with Moog and am happy. I know others have used the cheaper options and had the parts wear out within the year. You can try getting a needle attachment for a grease gun (if you have one) and squeeze some grease into the ball joint boots. Spraying them with silicone will do nothing for the ball and cup covered by the boot that is causing the squeaking.

OP
OP
S

snozberries

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

So I'm pretty sure the ball joints need to be replaced. The rubber boots are split open. As is the left CV axle boot. The "kinda" good news is because the boots are split open I lubed up the ball joints and they dont squeak, but I know that will last about ten seconds.

Spoke to a mechanic and he said that he'd do all 4 ball joints and spark plugs (haha I'm afraid to do the plugs myself, the youtube videos look daunting) for 300 labor. He said he'd do all of that plus the cv axles for a total of 500 labor. I guess that's pretty reasonable. So yea it'll be an expensive repair but it'll be nice to know it's all fixed. Thanks all! Now I'm going to work on getting the gear selector adjusted so It doesnt say I'm in 1st when I'm in drive!

Thanks everyone!