difference between 15 thru 17 expedition and previous rentals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just posted a rather detailed description about ride differences in this thread:

Is there a difference in the ride quality between 2014 and 2015?

Another difference I just discovered about 2015-17 models is that 2017 EL 4WD trucks come with a limited-slip rear axle. As far as I know, that was never available on older models. According to the Ford sales brochure, it was not available on any Expedition in 2015 or 2016. That is why I am now narrowing my search to just 2017 trucks.

Did 2017 lose the braking bias assisted 4WD? That’s what kept the limited slip out of the expedition was the two systems would be fighting back and forth. Expeditions equipped with advancetrac didn’t get a limited slip rear but it could be optioned on them without before.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a good question! I sure hope this option is an improvement and not an attempt to cut corners. I may be about to pull the trigger on a 2017 so I'd sure like to know! I'll start a new thread with this question so maybe we can get some more eyes on it. . .

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good question! I sure hope this option is an improvement and not an attempt to cut corners. I may be about to pull the trigger on a 2017 so I'd sure like to know! I'll start a new thread with this question so maybe we can get some more eyes on it. . .

Either way I’m sure you’ll be fine. Both systems are there to achieve the same thing..... the only reason I raise this question is if that’s the case you’d only have that “limited slip” effect on the rear vs on both front and rear with the braking bias.

The limited slip is designed to start sending a percentage of power to the wheel with traction when slip starts

The braking bias senses slippage and applies friction to the slipping wheel forcing the conventional open diff to throw a percentage power to the wheel with traction, this has been one of the signatures of the control trac II system. Both are achieving the same thing in the end.... you can now see why these two systems don’t play nicely together.

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I am looking at 15 thru 17 Expeditions and probably will purchase sometime in the future and would like to know if there is a difference in the engines, transmissions or suspensions between these years. I have rented several thru the last few years and love the ride of the EL better than the reg one. I see the carfax on everyone I see and about 95% appear to be previous rentals. That concerns me some as people who rent them don't always give them the best care. Should I try to stay away from rentals?

The expedition is a premium rental, kids and tire beaters don't rent those but more of a higher age more mature crowd does, also previous rentals are usually some of the best up to date maintenance cars on the market if you can get past the dull colors

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 17 EL XLT that was a rental or fleet vehicle. It had 29,000 miles on it which means I have some Ford warranty left plus purchased an extended one just in case. So far it's been flawless. Considering the price of new ones, I'm fine with a rental for such a steep discount.

OP
OP
fordexpylvr

fordexpylvr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thank you. the miles are good on yours some have been over the 40k range I have seen

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check out Carmax's website for price and option research. If there's one near you, they will ship one from any of their other lots for a fee. I used it for comparison shopping. Ultimately an independent local dealer gave me the best offer but the sheer amount of Expeditions they have was worth the research time.

Not sure if this link will work. Its a search of all Expedition EL with 4wd from 2006 to present.

https://www.carmax.com/search#Dista...294963136+4294962578+788&SortKey=14&Zip=35244