Dimmer switch swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gettle70

Reaction score
Hey i did the search and did not completely answer my question so here goes. My G?F just picked up a 1999 EB and we do a lot of dog activities where we leave the hatch open and work out of the vehicle. As i am you you know the interior and running board lights stay on when the hatch is open and i know you can just pull the fuse for the lights which she did but what i want to know is that if i just get a dimmer switch from an 03 or newer and put it in does that have the lock out on it that will turn all the interior lights and running board lights off. Thanks in advanced.

Travis

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am not sure as the circuits from the 99 may be different than the 03 I'll look at the prints when I get home later tonight and give you a better idea.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if the switch was interchangeable since the gem was dropped in the 2nd gens. That would give Ford an opportunity to redesign the wiring of the vehicle.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where is the switch for the light located on the hatch/latch? I know the 2nd gen has a switch on the side of the hatch that can't be depressed without shutting it, but if it's in the latch mechanism, just push the latch closed with a screwdriver, and then unlock when you are done. I used to do this on an Explorer at drive-in movies, and I currently do this with the glass latch on my '06 Expy.