do I need to lift my Expo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
From my experience with a 4" lift, 315/75R16's are as big as you can fit without any modification if you are using an 8" wide rim with 4.5" backspacing. Going with a wider rim will result in rubbing, but this can be overcome with modifying the rear of the front wheel wells and trimming the front valance some. STepping up to 36's is most likely going to result in rubbing unless you do a lot more. Now, this all assumes no rubbing under any condition. Sure, I am running 37x12.5's and I have done a significant amount of modification and have a very specific setup that only works as I have it. Any change and it wouldn't work. Going with a rim wider than 8" with any 35" or larger tire is that the tire will start to rub on the outside edge of the rear wheel well unless you have adequate lift. For a 35" tire, that is atleast 4" of lift. I tuck my 37's by 1" with only 4" of lift.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what needs to be done. IF you have more questions, just ask.

LastExpo2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From my experience with a 4" lift, 315/75R16's are as big as you can fit without any modification if you are using an 8" wide rim with 4.5" backspacing. Going with a wider rim will result in rubbing, but this can be overcome with modifying the rear of the front wheel wells and trimming the front valance some. STepping up to 36's is most likely going to result in rubbing unless you do a lot more. Now, this all assumes no rubbing under any condition. Sure, I am running 37x12.5's and I have done a significant amount of modification and have a very specific setup that only works as I have it. Any change and it wouldn't work. Going with a rim wider than 8" with any 35" or larger tire is that the tire will start to rub on the outside edge of the rear wheel well unless you have adequate lift. For a 35" tire, that is atleast 4" of lift. I tuck my 37's by 1" with only 4" of lift.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what needs to be done. IF you have more questions, just ask.

Thanks if it takes a great deal Of work to jump to 36" then what would be needed to atleast set to a 33". Would you recommend a 3" body lift? I am not familiar with back spacing and those terms, what does that mean?

mudryder18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks if it takes a great deal Of work to jump to 36" then what would be needed to atleast set to a 33". Would you recommend a 3" body lift? I am not familiar with back spacing and those terms, what does that mean?

Dont shy away from the big tires that you want. 33's will fit stock. Thats what my parents had on mine before they gave it to me. Just crank your torsion bars, get 2in. rear coil sspacers and do a body lift and it will fit 35's with ease. For tires i recommend ProComp Xtreme all terrain.

LastExpo2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dont shy away from the big tires that you want. 33's will fit stock. Thats what my parents had on mine before they gave it to me. Just crank your torsion bars, get 2in. rear coil sspacers and do a body lift and it will fit 35's with ease. For tires i recommend ProComp Xtreme all terrain.

Thanks again, how much do those procomps run and about what would it cost just to lift it for the parts only? Could it be done without going to a body shop? Do you have any pics of your expedition that you wouldn't mind posting for me to get an idea of how it would turn out

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are a lot of people on here with the 3" BL and coil spacers on 35s... Lane24 and DGray69 are two that come to mind... I know there are others...

a body lift is not the most difficult lift, but you would need tools, some mechanical knowledge and at least a full day or two to get it done... spacers are a lot less work..

but I second the ProComp xtreme ATs I love mine... but they arent the cheapest tires

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there are a lot of people on here with the 3" BL and coil spacers on 35s... Lane24 and DGray69 are two that come to mind... I know there are others...

a body lift is not the most difficult lift, but you would need tools, some mechanical knowledge and at least a full day or two to get it done... spacers are a lot less work..

but I second the ProComp xtreme ATs I love mine... but they arent the cheapest tires

The only reason I wont lift mine is because I'm trying to squeeze out the best mpg possible. With gas prices going over $4 this summer I have no choice...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
LastExpo, backspacing is simply a measurement of the rim. If you pull a tire off of your truck, put a straight edge across the backside of the rim (only on the metal part) and then measure from the bottom edge to where the tire touches the brake rotor, this distance is "backspacing". On factory rims for our trucks, that distance is 4.5".

As for doing a body lift, that is a viable option. Not that big of a deal. The big thing you need is a T-55 Torx bit (as I recall) and some other wrenches. Granted, if you have adjustable pedals, you need to get very specific body lifts that will handle the option.

If you are looking at keeping the best mileage possible, then bigger tires are not to be considered. All they are going to do is lower your mileage. But, to minimize the effect, make sure to get your speedo recalibrated as this will restore the shift points and keep your mileage as high as possible.

Walnuts, just to let you know, I am currently up in Rochester and some of the members of my truck club are getting together this saturday in Rochester at Dinosaur BBQ. IF you are interested, let me know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlself