do I need to lift my Expo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^ x2

That site was really great...its screwy now, though.
And yeah, Thermo really seems to know everything, lol.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have currently on my 1997 Expo 4x4 some 305/50/20s and just bought some 37x13.5x20s and it looks like a tight fit. Has anyone run these size tires on stock height?

Just wondering...
Why did you buy 37s w/o checking to see they fit first?

Not trying to be a smart ass, honestly, just wondering.

mudryder18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. I logged back in to just see what Thermo was up to. But Damn. This site is heaven compared to the others!!! Long Live fordexpeditionforum.

Yea i did too, i wish they would have left the member galleries alone, that was my favorite part of that site. Once they changed it i never went back. I did post one post right before i got my gears to ask thermo what i could expect. He responded within an hour. Ill try to see if i can get him over here.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
OK guys, I am here. If you are thinking about 37" tires, I wish you a lot of luck. I was probably one of the first to fit 37's with only a 4" lift. Now, before you try this, you need a lot of very specific things. I have seen a lot of other people try this same thing and most have gone back to 35's due to either not making it work or finding out that it is just too much work.

To make my truck work, I had to modify the following things:

-lower A-arm: had to grind off the jack mount
-tied the front back fender liners to the firewall
-cut the front bumper back about 1" on the bottom and then tapered the cut to nothing at the top of the bumper on the edge where the bumper meets the wheel well

Keep in mind that I am running 37x12.5" tires on 8" wide rims. If you run 13.5" wide tires or run anything wider than 8" rims, you WILL!!!!!!! have rubbing. The rear is so close, it is not even funny. Pretty much I can't fit my finger between the tire and the body at any point around the whole rear wheel well when I have the tire compressed as far as it will go.

As for selling the truck, that is still being considered. I am looking at possibly getting an F-150 or F-350 and then going in a different direction. So, if the price is right, this can be all yours. I no longer need the Expy as the kids have moved out of the house and what I truely need is something with an 8 foot bed. But, I have to admit that the truck will handle more than you will think. I watched my truck pull a VOlvo car sideways once. Ooppps. LMAO.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn 37s with 4"... mine barely rub with 11" at full turn if the ground aint level....