Dome lights not turning on when either passenger door is opened

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robby830

Reaction score
Hi- the dome lights on my 03 4.6 aren't turning on when the front or rear passenger doors are opened. They come on with both driver side doors and lift gate though. Not sure what's causing it.

Some back story: I replaced the door ajar switched in both doors when I purchased the vehicle a few months ago. I removed the headliner to do some rust repair on the roof. When I put the headliner back on last week is when I noticed the lights not coming on, on the passenger side. I thought I connected all the wires. Could I have missed a plug or is it just a coincidence that it stopped working at the same time? Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Robby

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do you get the door ajar warning on the instrument panel when you open the doors on the passenger side

OP
OP
R

robby830

Reaction score
do you get the door ajar warning on the instrument panel when you open the doors on the passenger side
Nope. It's actually acting as if the doors are closed when they are opened. Pretty much the opposite of the common door ajar switch issue.

OP
OP
R

robby830

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a plug in the headliner that detects if the doors are ajar? I would hate to drop the headliner again and it be something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can remove one door panel and disconnect the connector for the door ajar switch and then see if you get the warning at the instrument panel. Those switches
are a normally closed switch so when you disconnect the connector the switch would act like its open and should give you the warning.

I am thinking that the previous owner had a problem and may have jumped the terminals on the security module. Don't jump to any conclusions yet lets see what happens when you disconnect the connector

Can you read and understand wiring diagrams.

I will check if there are any connectors above the headliner

OP
OP
R

robby830

Reaction score
If you can remove one door panel and disconnect the connector for the door ajar switch and then see if you get the warning at the instrument panel. Those switches
are a normally closed switch so when you disconnect the connector the switch would act like its open and should give you the warning.

I am thinking that the previous owner had a problem and may have jumped the terminals on the security module. Don't jump to any conclusions yet lets see what happens when you disconnect the connector

Can you read and understand wiring diagrams.

I will check if there are any connectors above the headliner
Good idea! I'll give this a try on the weekend when I'm back in town. Dome lights were working for me a few months ago though. Don't know if that matters or not with what you're suggesting.

I could try to make sense of wiring diagrams if not too complicated.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well if they were working before you replaced the switches that would rule out anything being jumped.

None of the wiring or connectors are in the headliner area they run from the doors to the security module which is located above the fuse box

I will post the wiring diagrams for you before by tomorrow morning