Driveline clunk coming to stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith92487

Reaction score
I have a 07 expedition el, drives and shifts great but feels like there is some driveline slop when it downshifts coming to a stop, makes a pretty decent clunk that you can hear. I’m at 210k I wonder if anyone had this issue and had any luck fixing it. Thanks

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm experiencing the same thing so I'm interested in any suggestions as well 161k. As of yesterday sometimes I get a clunk switching from forward to reverse and vice versa.... maybe a U joint?

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it is a u-joint you can usually tell if they are bad by looking at them. From my experience they usually have rust stains bleeding from the caps from needle bearings turning to ground up dust.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not only are their visible signs, you can grab them, and feel the play, by rocking them. Also when a u joint starts failing, you get a clink sound, not a clunk. When they clunk, their usually ready to grenade. A clunk is usually, a worn bearing/ bushing, causing play in the transmission, or rear differential. Other items to check would be any mounting points, including play in trans and motor mounts. And lastly check to be sure all bolts/nuts are secure, and torqued.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good video just watched it. That's why with any chassis noise, vehicle needs to be racked, and inspected thoroughly. Hope our op views it, and reports back with his findings.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No symptoms of the video on mine just the clunk the OP described slowing down and occasionally a sound when going straight from reverse to forward. Anythings possible though I guess. Moose may have a point with the motor/trans mounts. OP do you have a bang like in the video?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
07 expy, 270,000 kilometers,had the same issue,software update.Known issue from Ford.

I've always had the bump that can be rectified with a reflash but the clunk is new, happens a bit before the bump