dumb question of the week!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question of the week....How do you know if your expy has air suspension?? I look under mine and see shocks and springs...so to ME that says that I have the old fashioned setup.
How do I really tell??

wickman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you turn the key on, do you hear a humming sound? With the air suspension the compressor comes on with the key.

OP
OP
N

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not hear any compressor sound that you speak of.
I'm going to check the sticker on the driver door to see if there is any clear marking one way or the other.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easiest way to check it look near the feet area on the Passenger's side and you should see a switch to turn off the air suspension closest to the door. You shouldn't have to remove anything to uncover it. If so, FYI if you ever tow it or jack it up turn that off otherwise it'll constantly try to correct and blow the compressor most likely.

2002EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are seeing coil springs you do not have air susp. plain and simple.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I know air suspension involves a coil with an airbag inside it. So coils are involved. Haven't seen one on an ex so.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you see springs, you don't have air suspension.

The air suspension used a black air bag in the rear, no spring to speak of.