EcoBoost Throttle Body Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AllBoostNoEco

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so my warranty peeps may or may not cover this and the testing procedure they require costs $100. If they cover it, I don’t have to pay. If they don’t cover it, I’m out the $100 test procedure plus the parts and labor so instead of taking a chance, I’m going to replace it myself. I’ve done a little research and have two questions:

Allboost, can I as a regular consumer get the “cap” electronic portion of the throttle body and replace that to save money? Or is it not available to us lowly consumers?

If I end up just having to replace the whole thing, does anyone recommend a vendor to buy this from?

Do I need to perform a “relearn” procedure after install? And if so, what exactly is it?

You guys are helpful thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I haven’t been able to locate just the cap for sale. I think it is an item Delphi developed to allow them to refurb TBs instead of replacing the whole thing.
But seeing as how Tasca sells the TB for $111.24, not sure how much you’d actually save anyway knowing the way Ford pricing is.

Why are they charging you $100 for a nonexistent test procedure? It’s a TSB, and the only “test” is presence of codes in the PCM and drivability issues.

There’s a few videos on resetting the TPS I’ve found with a Google search. Not sure how necessary it is. Mine was done by the dealer, so if they reset it I wouldn’t know. I drove it like I always do and noticed no differences.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fantastic. Ok, great info. Truck goes in tomorrow for drivers turbo replacement and related stuff. Not sure what the nonsense is about the throttle body testing but it is required by the warranty company to absolutely rule out anything else before they fork over money. Drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They shouldn't have had Delphi make it for them. GM / Delphi whatever had tons of probs with gm throttle body errors and limp mode. They call it reduced power or something.

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@AllBoostNoEco - Do you know if the plastic cap w/ circuit board is sold on the market? Tried searching around and couldn't find it.

There’s a circuit board in the TB that fails. The TB was produced by Delphi, and they produced a bad part. They even offer the plastic cap with the circuit board already in it just to lower warranty costs due to the number of failures of that board.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine failed just past 60k miles. I bought a replacement from oreilys, 20 minutes to swap it out, reset the code and on my wya. That was 6k miles ago, not a hiccup since replacement. Mine is a 17 so it affects them all. The replacement I bought was identical except for the embossed Ford logo and I think was less than $80. A lot cheaper than when I had to replace my instrument cluster out of warranty at over $400 so I won't complain.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine failed just past 60k miles. I bought a replacement from oreilys, 20 minutes to swap it out, reset the code and on my wya. That was 6k miles ago, not a hiccup since replacement. Mine is a 17 so it affects them all. The replacement I bought was identical except for the embossed Ford logo and I think was less than $80. A lot cheaper than when I had to replace my instrument cluster out of warranty at over $400 so I won't complain.

How difficult was it to remove and replace? What tools were required?

I am considering buying and carrying one in my vehicle, with the necessary tools, for when I travel out-of-state to rural areas with my grandchildren. I don’t want to be stranded.

Thank you.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
I have a 16' Platinum with 40,000 miles that I just purchased from my dad. I got the wrench light two different times. The engine started missing and shaking wildly with a derate of like 2 mph. Both times it was really shocking and scary since so many roads here are under construction and there is no where to pull off. Both times I shut off the engine and then it ran fine. There were no fault codes. I found the Ford bulletin for the throttle body after an internet search. It covered all manner of Fords from like 2011 on. Anyway, I am a diesel mechanic and I could have easily done the repair myself but the dealership told me it had to be calibrated after it was replaced and I wanted my software updated. They told me no warranty. The repair cost me just under $500. I am certain I got ripped off for a known Ford problem and I have no way to know if they actually updated the engine and transmission software like I asked.

Anyway, I am over 50 and this is my first Ford. Hopefully this will be the only weird problem that I have for a long time. I have a Durango that is turning 20 yrs, 186,000 miles and it runs great. Best vehicle ever made. LOL. I had a clean one owner 2000 Dodge Neon that I put 280,000 miles on before I took it to the junk yard. I have a Chrysler 200 that has 110,000 miles on and it. This Ford costs 3 times what the Chrysler 200 did and I find it interesting that the Chrysler has few features missing on the Ford. One is ability to monitor the exact tire pressure of the tires. The Ford has an idiot light for tire pressure. Another insignificant feature the Ford is missing is buttons on the back of the steering wheel that control the radio. It doesn't seem like much but I figured the Platinum should have it. Oh well, I am just rambling. It is a nice truck. I decided to throw some new spark plugs in it to make sure I didn't have a cracked plug or boot that was contributing to my problem. The gap was at .035. I saw some guy on youtube say they changed the gap to .028 on the 3.5 ecoboost so I set the new plugs to that spec. Not sure if that was correct but it runs fine. Hopefully I'll be around here for a good 16 yrs or so with only good news to report. Cheers