Engine and Trans rebuild questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wolf

Reaction score
Hello!

I do a lot of reading on here, and have a couple questions that I can't find solid answers to (maybe I'm not searching the right words?).

I have a 2003 Expy 5.4L, and I'm wondering if rebuilding my current 5.4L Triton would be worth the time, or if buying a Lincoln Navi 5.4L engine and doing a swap would bebetter? I hear a lot of good things about the Navi engine, and very few about the Triton...

I'm also looking to rebuild the trans, or swap if needed...

Can someone point me in the right direction?

OP
OP
Wolf

Wolf

Reaction score
Thank you!

I will be doing all the work myself :) Just want to get something solid I can put a turbo or supercharger on in a couple years and not worry about it blowing up.

The Lincoln 5.4L InTech looks pretty good with a 40hp increase over the Triton that I currently have, and sounds like it'll bolt in without too many mods. Does this sound right?

I remember reading a post on here where someone rebuilt the tranny and added some clutch packs to each gear to increase hold? I've been looking for two days and can't find it...

I appreciate the information a lot! I'm not a mechanic, just mechanically inclined.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, a crate engine would be more practical for you. It would serve you well for a longer period of time.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.4l short block engines both should be the same the external parts would be different. Double check with dealer for interchangeability.

Part Description: 5.4L Modular Single Over Head Cam V8 ; Complete Engine Assemblies May Only Be Available During Current Production Model Year; Replaced by remanufacture

ATTENTION: THIS PART IS NOT SHIPPABLE.

FORD ENGINE
Price: $3,577.02
Part Name: Engine Complete Assembly
Brand:
Motorcraft

FordMotorcraft.gif

Part Number: 3L2Z-6007-AA

RenderIllustration.jpeg

LINCOLN ENGINE
Price: $4,716.25

Part Name: Engine Complete Assembly
Brand: Motorcraft

FordMotorcraft.gif

Part Number: 3L7Z-6007-AA

RenderIllustration.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wolf

Wolf

Reaction score
Thank you juan214 for those part numbers! Very helpful.

I'm doing more homework and probably starting this next spring.

Is it easier to pull the engine and transmission out at the same time? And is there a write up for that procedure?

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Engine is a PIA by itself. It barely gets out by itself we are talking fractions of an inch of play. To pull both at the same time you'll probably will need to pull the front of the truck. I have a engine swap on here under "Expy Knock". Check youtube for some videos.

Good luck

Last edited:

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Wolf, the 5.4 tritons seem to be an either or. Bulletproof or issue plagued I happen to be in the lucky category with 266k and runs great. I bring this up has a judgment call has to the miles on your vehicle and which of the two categories they fit into. Even with my good motor I am most likely going with a crate motor that I will most likely put a supercharger on.

Reason is that these engines have built in flaws that need to be remanufactured to remedy and with so many horror stories about block integrity I personally do not want to take the chance, secondly I would go remanufactured trans to remedy the baked in issue, Plus when rebuilding trans no one replaces all components so a reman would.

If I would to rebuild I would have my block checked and Scanned for integrity and rework the needed areas so it would probably cost about the same as crate from my research.

Best of luck and just my opinion

OP
OP
Wolf

Wolf

Reaction score
Great advice! I'll be looking into the crate motors, and the more I read and opinions roll in, the more a reman transmission sounds a lot better.

I should clarify that I'm doing away with the triton in the expy, it'll be better to turn it in for a core than rebuilding it.

I appreciate all the replies!