Engine compartment 12v power source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpf903

Reaction score
2008 Exp Limited

Two questions

1) I'm installing a set of auxilary backup lights. It calls for a 12 volt power source. It here a power source inside the engine compartment besides connecting a lead directly to the battery terminal? Such as a connection post.

2) I need to run wires fome engine compartment to under the dash. Is there a recommended access area in the firewall?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd run it straight from the battery, especially if you're going to use that to run the lights with.

I know when people put 2 fog lights in the back (to run as extra back up lights) on F150s, it's always recommended to use a relay that gets power straight from the battery, and the "reverse signal" from one of the reverse trailer wires.

Not sure the wattage of these back up lights, but I'd want to get power straight from the battery. Don't wanna be piggyback off another wire, and blow a fuse/burn the wire because of the increased load.

As for running the wires, check under the dash, on the driver's side. On the 03-06s there was a huge gromet above/below (can't remember) the steering rod that you could remove and fish wires through.