Engine cutting out while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdgood

Reaction score
While dirving my 2003 expedition yesterday my engine cut out when i was driving. no engine light came on & thought it was a fluke. later in the day car stalled out again when i was slowing down to turn into a parking structure. restarted fine and drove toward home about 1 mile when service engine light came on again and car shut down again. restarted fine again and drove home (about another 1/2 mile), with service engine light on. parked it and will not drive until i get car scanned to see wht the code is. does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem. when i restart it runs fine just keeps cutting out.....very strange.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like a clogge fuel filter. change the filter, then run a couple fresh tanks of gas in it and you should be good.

OP
OP
G

gdgood

Reaction score
Engine cutting out....

Thanks...i was thinking the same thing except i didn't know that a clogged fuel filter would throw a code check engine light. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i guess it depends on the code but it could throw something for starving the system of fuel. it has probably been awhile since the filter was changed so i would change the filter and then clear the code and see if it comes back.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ummm... now that i think about it. i nvr have changed my filter. haha 155,000+ miles and never changed. i might wanna do that.

OP
OP
G

gdgood

Reaction score
cutting out while driving

had it scanned and mech says it doesn't specify the exact problem. the code is a generic electrical failure type of code but did not pinpoint it like a certain sensor or whatever. he reset the dash light and told me to drive it local for a few days and see if it comes up again and then bring it back to try it again. did not charge me for his time or the scan. he was pissed though because i replaced my bad #7 coilpack last month with one from auto zone instead of going with a factory part. he says that could be it right there except that it has n;o symptoms of a bad coilpack right now. this is totally different.

OP
OP
G

gdgood

Reaction score
UPDATE-been driving around town locally for a day or so now. no more codws coming up but car is idling rough. seems to be more noticible as car gets warmer. sorta "chugs" a little at takeoff and at stop lights the idle is noticibly rough. any more tips are greatly appreciated. thanks.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did you change out that fuel filter? the chugging at take off could possible be that coil pack going bad. not quite there but about to be...

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would most definitely change the fuel filter.. I have a "similar" issue. Under heavy acceleration, it lacks a LOT of power in high revs. Like if Im going 50 and hit the passing gear, it boggs down and doesn't have any power until I let off the accelerator and feather it back into the passing gear some then it will power up or something and runs a lil better. I dunno, kinda wierd..and the shift points when under heavy acceleration are kinda strange almost like its tryin to slip some.

Sn8ke

Reaction score
Similar problem

I have been experiencing a similar issue, but when it cuts out the wrench light(engine fail safe?) comes on the i loose all throtle control. at first it was only when stopping at a light, but today it happened at about 70mph+ on the freeway....not a good thing. I have read TPS, throttle body, fuel pump, I have no idea, can anybody help.