Engine HELP! Replce or Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yourfavgui

Reaction score
6 Months ago I posted about an 05 Expy 99K miles, 5.4L I bought with noisy cam phasers (Sounded like a tractor). I replaced both phasers and chains, crank sprocket, tentioners and arms, chain guides, plugs, fuel filter. All my problems seem to go away except for a harsh metal on metal noise at cold start up. It now has 108K miles and I started getting code PO340 (Cam position sensor LB) with rough idle, stalling, poor MPG, only while in gear. Later came codes: PO 303, 012, 340, 345, 349, 300. All leaning towards the Left bank, checked all wiring, replaced the left Variable Timing Solenoid, nothing worked. So we asked the Ford Dealer to diagnose and the say engine failure!!! ($7500). The engine was getting less than 10psi and should be around 15.
My brother pulled it all apart and mechanically looks good other than some blockages found in some oil passages from the oil pump and the Left side was definitely starved for oil. It looks like my two options might be to break this down to the block and have it dipped and rebuild with new parts or I can purchase an engine for $3300/ 3yr, unlimited mile warranty.

Any questions, advice, help and suggestions are gratefully welcomed.
Yourfavgui

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would depend on your budget and time allotted to do the work. Crate motors are definitely quicker to swap than waiting to rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AustinTillery