exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so I plan on doing a rear cat delete on my 02.

I was under the Expy looking at everything and noticed that right before the exhaust pipe goes over the rear axle there is a big muffler looking contraption, then the big muffler at the back.

I know this isn probably a dumb question but I am not real familiar with the exhaust systems on these rigs. Is that big muffler looking contraption a muffler or a resonator? That thing is huge lol.

I plan on doing a full dual exhaust system in the future but I would still like some improved sound using my single set up untill I can get the money/time to do the full system. suggestuons on what I can do that wont cost me a lot untill then?

On my old 97 Crown Vic I did a muffler delete and it sounded great, granted it already had the stock dual exhaust set up since it was a police package car.

Last edited:

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 4.6L didn't have the resonator, but I believe the big one is the muffler and the smaller one after it is the resonator. I've heard that going with duals will gain upper rpm HP, but loose lower rpm torque. We need a lot of torque to get these boats moving. Maybe somebody with duals will comment. I went with a single 3" Magnaflow cat back and like it a lot.

OP
OP
C

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both of the "cans" on mine are about the same size, just one is right before the axle and the other right after, then one right after is the one you can see standing beside the rig with the exhaust tip attached to it.

Like you said I have heard that you loose a little in the lower rpm ranges but pick it up in the higher rpms. But like you not sure exactly how much.