Expedition Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What could cause it to not start ? it does it on hte random .... from time to time. I can turn the key and I get nothing, it doesn't even try to crank. ... all I hear is this clicking noise on the passenger side kick panel (by the fuse box) ... I assume it's a relay failure. Since it only happens randomly, how can I single out this relay ( ...and that's if it is a relay )

Anyone that has happened to, please let me know how u fixed that problem?

OP
OP
T

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took it to Ford for a diagnostic, and they checked every thing it could possibly be (starter, solenoid, battery, altenator, battery cables , etc ...) everything checks out.Since it's intermittent, they say they couldn't duplicate the problem therefore they cant diagnose it. But the very next time it happened again, I followed the clicking noise to the kick panel (passenger side), removed the cover, uncovered the fuse box and put a finger on the only Relay there ... and sure enough I felt that click . ... So i'm gonna replace it and see what happens next !

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took it to Ford for a diagnostic, and they checked every thing it could possibly be (starter, solenoid, battery, altenator, battery cables , etc ...) everything checks out.Since it's intermittent, they say they couldn't duplicate the problem therefore they cant diagnose it. But the very next time it happened again, I followed the clicking noise to the kick panel (passenger side), removed the cover, uncovered the fuse box and put a finger on the only Relay there ... and sure enough I felt that click . ... So i'm gonna replace it and see what happens next !
I really hope that is the solution to resolve your issue. I know how tough it is to have an intermittent problem such as this. I’m not sure if I can help, but feel free to send me a private message with your VIN, contact info, dealer name, and approximate mileage if you would like me to lend a hand.

Cory

OP
OP
T

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After the dealership said they inspected all the possible and potential problems that could cause the truck to not start. They even recommended I get my remote start alarm uninstalled. So I followed their advice and got it unhooked. Well the problem was simply a corroded ground cable from the starter, so a bad ground connection was causing the accessory delay relay to click and the truck to not start.
This is really disappointing when a problem as simple as this could not be resolved at the dealership on the first visit. Live and learn ! ... I guess that's a problem they can add to their troubleshooting list of "Starting Issues" as it should already be there, ... because doesn't that fall under basic electrical system failures ? "bad grounds". Oh Well !

If anybody runs into a similar problem, make sure to check your starter cables and connections first. That'll save you time and money.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it seems stealerships only know how to replace parts their computers tell them too.. They never seem to diagnose or repair. They just look up the code, replace a part. get the same code, replace a different part etc. Most time things are as easy as cleaning sensors, replacing small vacuum lines, or as you saw, corroded cables, or connections. Turning $5 - $20 repairs into major $$$$$$$$ for parts.
So glad you found your issue. Sad part is, they won't add that to their check list. Cuz their computer doesn't suggest it.
Make sure you watch this forum and suggest this thread to the next guy who sounds like he's having the same issue!!!