Flowmaster 50

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok...so I was under the impression that the Flowmaster 50 series would give the expy a nice rumble but be very low in cab noise. Well, I had a muffler shop bend me up a 3" catback exhaust with the 50 series and while it has a very nice rumble, it is very loud inside the cab and has a drone at 65+. If it was my daily driver it wouldn't be a big deal, but this is the wife's DD and right now she doesn't like it very much. Is there anything I can do to take some of the droning away? Thanks for the help!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Actually there are four options.

Change them out

Add another one behind it, if there's room

Pull the seats and carpet and put in Dynomat on the floor panels

Get a louder stereo.

OP
OP

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was looking at Flowmaster's website and saw they sell a universal resonator. If I had one installed would that help?

hardrock

Reaction score
Flowmasters do that, I found out the hard way also. You may just want to switch to a Magnaflow, they are supposed to have much less cab noise. I think that is what I am going to do.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flows are known for their droning. I'll see if I can find a vid of my 18" Maggy in cab.

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a 40 series on mine and ya it drones as it climbs gears but nearly no noise at 50+?

OP
OP

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, once I hit OD at around 40 it is almost gone until I get above 60 then it starts to get annoying. I am thinking a resonator in line and the heat shield for the 50 series from Flowmaster that is suposed to decrease heat but also direct more of the sound downwards should take care of it.

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
either way, its going to cost you to fix this. Maybe just switch it out for the 50 series SUV or step up to the 70 series. What you want is a 3 chamber not a 2 chamber.

OP
OP

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the 70 series is quieter than the 50? Might be a better idea to go that route.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjtehan