Ford Expedition reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mkaresh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've updated our reliability stats for the Expedition to include owner experiences through June 30, 2014 (making them about 14 months ahead of some others).

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008 Expedition: 57, moderate, small sample size
2007 Expedition: 56, moderate
2006 Expedition: 66, moderate, very small sample size
2005 Expedition: 75, moderate, very small sample size
2004 Expedition: 72, moderate, small sample size
2003 Expedition: 55, low, small sample size
1999 Expedition: 71, low, very small sample size

Next updates in November and in February. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For repair descriptions, the stats of other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Ford Expedition reliability ratings and comparisons

OP
OP
M

mkaresh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've updated our reliability stats for the Expedition to include owner experiences through September 30, 2014.

2008 Expedition: 49, low, small sample size
2007 Expedition: 49, low, small sample size
2006 Expedition: 59, moderate, very small sample size
2005 Expedition: 63, moderate, very small sample size
2004 Expedition: 116, high, small sample size
2003 Expedition: 62, low, small sample size
1999 Expedition: 48, low, very small sample size

Additional participants would be very helpful. (I'd love to be able to drop the disclaimers and cover all model years.)

To view the repairs behind these numbers, check the stats for other cars, and sign up to help improve this information (next update in February):

OP
OP
M

mkaresh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you join?

For anyone reading this who has not, we are trying to provide good reliability information on the Expedition and Navigator, but very much need more participants.

Join TrueDelta

OP
OP
M

mkaresh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've updated our reliability stats for the Expedition to include owner experiences through the end of 2014. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008 Expedition: 58, moderate, small sample size
2007 Expedition: 68, moderate, small sample size
2006 Expedition: 61, moderate, very small sample size
2005 Expedition: 54, low, very small sample size
2004 Expedition: 85, moderate, small sample size
2003 Expedition: 86, moderate, small sample size

We'll have further updates in May and in August. Additional participants badly needed--it'd be nice to drop those sample size notes and have more precise stats.

For the details, including how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

BEAR5oh

Reaction score
Didn't read all the posts, but...

I just wanted to add my own EXPeriences as well as with Fords in general.

My 1997 XLT 4x4 4.6L

I miss it still, even after losing it over 9 and a half years ago to a hit n run driver who rear ended me at a stop light doing 60mph. Up until that day, my EXP was one of the most reliable Fords I've ever owned, and I've owned many...still do.

If memory serves, I had only a few minor problems with at up 'til it's demise at 109,000 miles on the odometer.

Shortly after buying it in August of 2000, the AC pump went out on it but it was covered under the extended warranty I purchased. It originally had 54,*** miles on it when I got it. It was in prestine condition as well.

I added a trailer package to it in February of 2001 when a friend needed help moving from SoCal to Phoenix, AZ and I needed to use something other than my bumper to tow with. I purchased the towing setup myself and installed it myself as well along with splicing in the wiring (having a background in automotive fab, body work, and mechanics has served me quite well over my 41 years).

Shortly after the AC pump went, I had an air IAC valve/sensor go out but again, covered by my extended warranty.

The last thing I remember happening was probably the most expensive, time consuming, and labor intensive repair required and it happened in the summer of 2002. Somehow, a tube of some kind, inside the transfer case was malfunctioning. This malfunction was causing the transfer case to attempt to engage the front drive shaft for 4-wheel drive HIGH even when the dash knob/actuator was set to 2W High. No, it was not mistakenly in A4WD (by the way is the greatest feature for either of my EXPies to date!).

So....it took them several weeks just to finally figure out the problem with only, what can only be described as, the quietest noise of the xfer case trying to engage the front shaft. An extremely subtle thump could be felt too. I must have gone on 4 or 5 test drives with the staff at the dealership until someone could finally hear and feel what I could. I know ALL of my cars extremely well and can tell when something is not correct even in the slightest way.

They eventually had to complete tear apart the xfer case in order to fix this one tiny tube inside causing the problem.

Approximately one month in the shop and roughly $6000 on the bill.

Yes, $6K!! But guess what, it happened 1,501 miles BEFORE my warranty ran out on it. Never had a problem for the next 3 years I had it.

All in all, minor stuff. No injectors, plugs, water pump, heads, etc that ever went wrong.

I did do many things preventatively as well. Like, having the diffs flushed and replenished at 75K. Also had the transmission done at that time too. Those were all done when I was living in an apartment and didn't have access to a work area of my own at the time. Easier to pay a few bucks extra and let someone do the work for me. Also had the cooling system flushed and filled twice while I had it as well as a new t-stat each time too. The last 3 years I had it, when I had a garage again, I did my oil changes myself again but instead opting to use AMSOil synthetic and their filter instead of the Mobil 1 full synthetic I was using since I first bought it.

Yes, I rambled. But I wanted you guys to know how great it was and that I wish I still had it. In fact, I came across a '97 4wd 4.6L recently for sale near me and I did give it a thought or two. Alas, I have too many toys as it is.

Currently, I now have a 2010 EXPedition Limited 4wd 5.4L with every bell and whistle you can think of. It was fate finding it in the corner of a little used car lot in Miramar, CA (San Diego for those not in the know).

This one has stuff that I never would have purchased had I been buying it new.

I'm currently at 90K with a full warranty 'til 140K. Got it with 84k on the odo a few days over 14 months ago. Book on it was 32.5K and we got it for 28.2K out the door with the warranty, both keys, all the books, the headphones, the original sticker, and a huge music library already uploaded to it. Also had the complete service records for it too.

Over a year later without a problem. A few weeks ago I heard the power steering pump (Fords have a very particular sound too) noise. Checked and it was a little low. Filled it back to the line and it was fine. Also.....luckily, the noise left too. Those that know Ford pwr str pumps KNOW that once they do the whine, they never stop 'til replaced. Lucky!

Before the 2010 was a '93 Bronco, a 2006 GT Mustang and I still have my '92 Mustang GT 'vert that I celebrated 17 years with last September 7th.

The 2010 EXPy drove like a champ on a recent trip to race 5th Scale RC cars at Glen Helen Raceway. Towed great. Trailer sway electronics performed great as well as the suspension air bags/leveling. I can't say enough good stuff about this EXPy and all Fords in general.

B.

OP
OP
M

mkaresh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, how have these cars been doing lately?

Our reliability stats for the Expedition now include owner experiences through March 31, 2015. (Others are nearly a year behind.)

In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year ("low" is best):

2008 Expedition: 50, low, small sample size
2007 Expedition: 64, moderate, small sample size
2005 Expedition: 57, low, very small sample size
2004 Expedition: 61, low, small sample size
2003 Expedition: 80, low, small sample size

No stat for a model year? Then we very much need more participants for it. Same for those with small sample size notes--so, all of them :) Next updates in August and November.

For repair descriptions, the stats for other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Ford Expedition reliability

Reaction score
Subscribed!
o.png

OP
OP
M

mkaresh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our reliability stats for the Expedition and Navigator (included in the stats) now cover the year ending June 30, 2015. (Others are over a year behind, and so report how these cars were doing when a year younger.)

Repair trips per 100 cars:

2008 Expedition: 67, moderate, small sample size
2007 Expedition: 60, moderate, small sample size
2006 Expedition: 40, low, very small sample size
2005 Expedition: 69, low, very small sample size
2004 Expedition: 62, low, very small sample size
2003 Expedition: 90, moderate, very small sample size

If a model year isn't listed, or its sample size is small, then we especially need more owners involved.

For the descriptions of all reported repairs, results for other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

OP
OP
M

mkaresh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've updated our reliability stats for the Expedition to include owner experiences through September 30, 2015.

2008 Expedition: 79, moderate, small sample size
2007 Expedition: 71, moderate, small sample size
2006 Expedition: 46, low, very small sample size
2005 Expedition: 61, low, very small sample size
2004 Expedition: 14, low, very small sample size
2003 Expedition: 64, low, small sample size

We'll have further updates in February and in May. Additional participants are needed to provide precise stats for all model years.

For the details, including repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information: