Fuel and emissions issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A___A

Reaction score
I have a 2018 max limited and it’s been at the dealership for almost three weeks. We first had it towed there because my wife noticed a fuel leak above the transmission. I got under it and couldn’t see where it was exactly coming from but it was above the transmission by the crossmember. Now the dealership is saying the carbon canister by the fuel tank is full of fuel when it should only have vapors in it. They can’t figure out why this happened and seem to be waiting on engineering to tell them how to fix it. I’ve reached out to corporate but the rep is having just as much trouble getting any answers as I did. So has anyone ever heard of this issue. I literally had this vehicle for two weeks before it went to the dealer. Any advice will be appreciated.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 max limited and it’s been at the dealership for almost three weeks. We first had it towed there because my wife noticed a fuel leak above the transmission. I got under it and couldn’t see where it was exactly coming from but it was above the transmission by the crossmember. Now the dealership is saying the carbon canister by the fuel tank is full of fuel when it should only have vapors in it. They can’t figure out why this happened and seem to be waiting on engineering to tell them how to fix it. I’ve reached out to corporate but the rep is having just as much trouble getting any answers as I did. So has anyone ever heard of this issue. I literally had this vehicle for two weeks before it went to the dealer. Any advice will be appreciated.

Was this shortly after a fuel up? And did the pumper try and squeeze an extra $3 into the vehicle?

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a complex fuel system.
There is a fuel pump on the driver side valve cover that produces fuel pressure, could be leaking up there.

I would return the vechical and look for another brand of vehicle

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a complex fuel system.
There is a fuel pump on the driver side valve cover that produces fuel pressure, could be leaking up there.

I would return the vechical and look for another brand of vehicle

How exactly does he just return this vehicle?

OP
OP
A

A___A

Reaction score
I think my wife did just fuel up. Returning at this point isn’t an option unless Ford concedes defeat and buys it back. It’s used so I’m sure that will be a huge fight on my side. I’m hoping someone at Ford can figure it out sooner then later. Or they do the right thing and buy it back. But the ladder will be a long shot.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh gosh, that guy is such an Idiot!

He may be an "idiot", but what he is saying is true. On my Escalade they supposedly were going to have to drop the tank to change it. Would have been more than $240 labour. I still top off, but I fill at the slowest setting and usually just round it up. The problem is when you are trying to put in $3 more (I ran a fuel station for about 6 years, filled A LOT of cars), some will take it easily just because of how the tank lines run, but some will spill out almost instantly. To think that Ford should buy it back at this stage is ridiculous. Now if there is some sort of on going problem where it is somehow siphoning into it, that could be a different situation.