gear lever stuck in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok guys i need some help

my expy has been fine, like not a problem since i have owned it for the past year. i get it serviced at ford every time it comes around for servicing.

but the registration is about to run out. now in the middle east you do a thing called registration, which in the uk is call a MOT, and not sure what it is called in the US, but basically they test your car to make sure its road worthy, its a bit of a joke here like most other stuff.

any way i gave my car to a local garage to take down to the traffic directory were they do the testing as i couldnt spare any time do to work.

when i then go to pick up my car from the garage. i start it and it wont go into gear. it stays in park. i have pulled the trigger part on the gear shift and hear the clicking noise from the dash but it wont budge. (i have my foot on the brake as well).

i turn the expy off and start it again and nothing, just the same thing. so i speak to the garage and they send a tech out who starts looking under the steering column then he gets it working after a few minutes and says there is a problem with a wire or something.

prior to this i have never experienced this as at all. no signs what so ever.

has anyone else had this happen to them?

i just find it very strange that is decides to happen at the garage and after it has been to a garage that i have never taken it to before. even though i have had other cars serviced there and they have been ok.

is there any way i can fix this myself?

any help will be very appreciated

cheers
phill

daoud el-massri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First nice truck check to see if the cable is broken on my 2000 4.6 a similar thing happen to my shift cable was broken 85.00 from dealer new .

OP
OP
standardmoose

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cheers guys

i dont think it is the cable as i have managed to get it into gear, but it does take some work.

i think the links sierra posted are probably gonna be it. its in at the garage for them to have a look at it.

annoyingly my bike is also in the garage so i am wheel-less at the moment lol

OP
OP
standardmoose

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey guys, just thought i would let you all know what the problem was.

i took the expy to ford and they said it was the gear switch. took it in yesterday as they were closing and this morning they said it was fixed, so a service and the gear switch replaced all in all cost equivalent to $145.

dont think it is that bad since thats, the labor parts, service, and cleaning inside and out.

just glad it was jsut the switch.

cheers for the help guys

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow thats not bad at all. I am glad your Expedition is good to go for a decent price !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1