Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atbhaack

Reaction score
Gears for towing,

So I have a 03 with the 4.6, the transmission was rebuilt for towing and I added a set of airbags, a cai, headers, under drive pulleys, and a edge cs. I am about to the limit of power adders, all that is left that is easy to do is a cat back but worried about noise and losing tq.

So I was thinking of gears. It has some highway gears now 3.31, I am debating between 3.55 and 3.73. I don't want to kill my milage when just driving since I do that more, but want it to be able to tow camper easy. I am worried that 3.55 is just not enough. Any suggestions would be helpful.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 99 has 3.73 stock so that shouldn't be too much for yours... highest I would think about is going to a 4.10 which some factory tow package F150s had

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if i recall, i have 3.55 and they can be "doggy" at times. I would go up to 3.73 or like walnuts said, go 4.10

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just do 4.88s. haha naw. 3.73s should do the job for towing and not a lot of mileage lose.

etrailer

Reaction score
3.73s with the 4.6 should make towing much easier. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but if he has 4WD and ever uses it, he'll need to swap out the gears in the front axle as well.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
whats the weight of the camper?
are you towing in the mountains?

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you are correct e-trailer, he should change the gears in the front as well cuz if he doesnt and for some reason he goes into AWD....SCREWED!

etrailer

Reaction score
you are correct e-trailer, he should change the gears in the front as well cuz if he doesnt and for some reason he goes into AWD....SCREWED!

I wonder what would give first. And what it would sound like.

Last edited:

Poppa Wheelie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went from 3.31 to 4.56 in my rig, and it feels awesome. I have not towed our toy hauler yet, but I can tell it's going to be much better. I would say 3.73 would be better. If you plan on adding bigger heavier tires, look into more gear, you'll need it.