Ground Clearance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 1999 EB 4x4, and I was looking up the ground clearance specs, and it appears to be 7.5 inches, which is less than my wife's Subaru Outback... how can that be? Am I getting bad data? What is the ground clearance for the 4x4s?

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 1999 EB 4x4, and I was looking up the ground clearance specs, and it appears to be 7.5 inches, which is less than my wife's Subaru Outback... how can that be? Am I getting bad data? What is the ground clearance for the 4x4s?

Where are you measuring from?

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably correct. It's a minimum clearance, probably measured from the lowest thing under the truck like pumpkin, axles, lower control arms etc..

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[emoji35]
Dang. I can put a 2" lift on her Subaru and be rocking then. Just a lot more $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thinking about 2" leveling in rear, turn front torsion bars, and MAYBE 1-2" body lift. Figure will be $500 or so, then go with 285/70/17s (around 33" tire). This thing is still a DD (35 miles one way)...

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did that ^ without the body lift and in 18" wheels. I think it looks and drives great (could use some more gearing though).

Amd tires are the only thing on a solid axle that will increase ground clearance.

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did not think of that. Ok. So the lift / turning torsion bars will allow for bigger tires, which will increase ground clearance. Body lift then gives more room for tires, and increases approach angle... right?
Cannot see going to 35s. Would require new gears and the costs start adding up from there (would want Detroit rear locker, etc.). [emoji56]