Ground Wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shoota0075

Reaction score
where is a good place to ground my ground wire for the amp?, i will have it mounted on the box in the back of the truck

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I prefer going to the frame of the truck. The body panels have so much corrosion protection, that sometimes it's difficult to get a solid ground.

You want to make sure that you grind away the area to bare, shiny metal to make the best contact. Use a big ring connector and a large bolt to slug it down to the frame. Once the connection is made, then you can hit it with paint or undercoating to protect it.

What most people forget is that the cable from the battery to the frame also needs to be upgraded. The wimpy one from the factory doesn't cut it.

97ExpGuy

Reaction score
What most people forget is that the cable from the battery to the frame also needs to be upgraded. The wimpy one from the factory doesn't cut it.

Really? Is it a heat issue with the factory ground cable after upgrading the sound system?

Just a thought: Wouldn't grounding to a bolt that secures the back seats to the floor be acceptable as well?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1st off i wouldnt recommend mounting the amp to the box. the box will vibrate and shake which can cause damage to your amp. my amps blue leds stoped working when it was on the box. when i moved it to the seat it started to work again. but my amp isnt really grounded to a bolt. i loosened the seat middle row seat bracket and slid the wire between the bracket and floor. then i tightened the bolts back. works fine to me. but im going to redo all my wiring when i get my new amp. the alternator wiring and battery wiring.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have mine screwed to the box...been there for 4yrs...no probs...i've read several reviews saying its bad...i'm just to lazy to redo it...so it'll stay there until i can do what i want which is A: have it installed in the inside of the tailgate
B: take the factory sub out and create a see though panel to the amp in that area...well ventilated
C: mount it overhead by the rear dome light

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The thing to remember is that when you are grounding the amp you are just completeing the circuit. A lot of people run a huge power cable for the positive and then do nothing to the grounding system. By taking a similar sized cable from the battery - to the frame you are assuring that you have a solid ground that won't fluctuate.