TSB 23-2250 - 2018-2023 Expedition/Navigator + Other Models - 10R80 Auto Trans + Others - Harsh/Delayed Engagement And/Or Harsh/Delayed Shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblackpearl

Reaction score
So do the rough shifts from this eventually kill the transmission ? Or just make for some rough driving ?
?

The Yeti

Reaction score
Keep trying with Ford and let us how it goes.

A transmission from Ford was around $3500 couple of month ago (haven’t checked lately). I assume labor will be $1500 at independent transmission shops.

if you are around Chicago, go to BSG Automotive. The owner is a very popular YouTuber and will take good care if you.
Thanks for the tip. I am in Chicago, but the vehicle is currently at the dealer. Figured that was my best shot for support with Ford. They are quoting $5400 for trans (w/o core credit). Believe that is for a new trans... NOT a rebuilt one.

Current status is Ford Financial is up to 60% support of the total bill. My service advisor is still reviewing my historical record for previous claims of awkward shifts while under warranty.

The Yeti

Reaction score
Well, I've gone as far as I can go with Ford Financial Assistance. They maxed out their offer at $4500 credit (on a roughly $9000 bill). My dealer has been great during the entire process, trying to support my case as much as they could. They didn't rush me at all with their loaner to make a decision and start the work until I was ready. They also pre-ordered the transmission to ensure it arrived and was ready to go as soon as I gave them the go-ahead.

I've already called my friends that also have 10R80 transmissions to give them a heads up so they don't end up in the same spot as me.

Ultimately, I'm very dissatisfied with the way Ford has handled this claim. I was quite clear on multiple calls with FFA that even if I do accept their offer it does not reflect that I am satisfied with the outcome. This will be my last Ford and will certainly look elsewhere when the time comes. This is my 5th Ford vehicle that I've owned, and it will be my last.

My only hope now is that the various lawsuits that are out there will make their way through the court, and I can jump on to reclaim the rest of my repair fee. It's so sad to see a brand like Ford not stand behind a loyal customer with such an obvious design flaw in their vehicle.

Godspeed boys if you are having the same issues and are looking for Ford to offset your repair outside of warranty.

My advice? Your options are:
1) Sell the vehicle before the issues emerge
2) Buy an extended warranty and hope the issues emerges during the term.
3) On ANY sign that the transmission is less than perfect while it's under warranty, make sure your dealer FULLY documents the concern.
4) Even if no engine codes emerge, but you feel something doesn't "feel right", consider paying for the 2-hr transmission diagnostic evaluation to officially document your issue while the vehicle is in warranty.

Good luck!

omandave

Reaction score
Newish lurker, and I think this is my 2nd or 3rd post...
Our 2019 expedition limited is getting a new transmission... We bought it used at 115k miles. We included a 4year extended warranty, 3rd party because we bought it at a Chevy dealership. Warranty covers all but the $200 deductible. New transmission, at a local transmission shop is $8000. That is in the Puget Sound, in Washington State.
Total time without vehicle is estimated at 2full weeks. (Took it in on Monday this week, new transmission is due to shop this Monday, completion should be Friday, week from today.)

I used to scoff at extended warranties... Now I'm grateful. This one item paid for the warranty and I get a 2year unlimited mileage warranty on the new transmission plus the remaining 3 years of extended warranty coverage for the remainder of the contract.
I plan to add an auxiliary transmission cooler to help protect this new transmission.

This forum has been such a godsend for info and updates.

Thank you for keeping me informed.
Cheers

The Yeti

Reaction score
Well, I've gone as far as I can go with Ford Financial Assistance. They maxed out their offer at $4500 credit (on a roughly $9000 bill). My dealer has been great during the entire process, trying to support my case as much as they could. They didn't rush me at all with their loaner to make a decision and start the work until I was ready. They also pre-ordered the transmission to ensure it arrived and was ready to go as soon as I gave them the go-ahead.

I've already called my friends that also have 10R80 transmissions to give them a heads up so they don't end up in the same spot as me.

Ultimately, I'm very dissatisfied with the way Ford has handled this claim. I was quite clear on multiple calls with FFA that even if I do accept their offer it does not reflect that I am satisfied with the outcome. This will be my last Ford and will certainly look elsewhere when the time comes. This is my 5th Ford vehicle that I've owned, and it will be my last.

My only hope now is that the various lawsuits that are out there will make their way through the court, and I can jump on to reclaim the rest of my repair fee. It's so sad to see a brand like Ford not stand behind a loyal customer with such an obvious design flaw in their vehicle.

Godspeed boys if you are having the same issues and are looking for Ford to offset your repair outside of warranty.

My advice? Your options are:
1) Sell the vehicle before the issues emerge
2) Buy an extended warranty and hope the issues emerges during the term.
3) On ANY sign that the transmission is less than perfect while it's under warranty, make sure your dealer FULLY documents the concern.
4) Even if no engine codes emerge, but you feel something doesn't "feel right", consider paying for the 2-hr transmission diagnostic evaluation to officially document your issue while the vehicle is in warranty.

Good luck!
One final update. Ford Financial Assistance called me back and offered me a complimentary 3yr / 36K mile PremiumCARE plan. This should cover 1000 items on the vehicle (not just trans) for the next several years. Each claim is a $100 deductible. This helps provide some assurance if more unexpected issues occur.

baller32

Reaction score
2018 with 120,000 miles and the past couple of trips my transmission started acting weird only when we turned corners and going from 3rd to about 5th gear, would go into like a neutral then catch. Last night it started acting that way at pretty much all stop lights, had to baby it along, once it got through to 5th gear she was fine all the way up to 10th gear. No warning lights came on during this. I am fearing the worse. Purchased this vehicle in September with 115,000.....
Guess I am taking it to the shop to see what the heck is going on. Please tell me I won't have to dump $8K into it.......

omandave

Reaction score
Newish lurker, and I think this is my 2nd or 3rd post...
Our 2019 expedition limited is getting a new transmission... We bought it used at 115k miles. We included a 4year extended warranty, 3rd party because we bought it at a Chevy dealership. Warranty covers all but the $200 deductible. New transmission, at a local transmission shop is $8000. That is in the Puget Sound, in Washington State.
Total time without vehicle is estimated at 2full weeks. (Took it in on Monday this week, new transmission is due to shop this Monday, completion should be Friday, week from today.)

I used to scoff at extended warranties... Now I'm grateful. This one item paid for the warranty and I get a 2year unlimited mileage warranty on the new transmission plus the remaining 3 years of extended warranty coverage for the remainder of the contract.
I plan to add an auxiliary transmission cooler to help protect this new transmission.

This forum has been such a godsend for info and updates.

Thank you for keeping me informed.
Cheers
I got my 2019 back on Monday, 2/6/2024. the new transmission seems to shift like butter... smooth... transmission assy installed is a JL3Z-7000-N, includes a 2 year unlimited mileage FORD warranty... My extended warranty lasts longer than this new transmission warranty. fingers crossed that the updated software and updated CDF hardware will work together to solve the issue.

I still have "grand plans" to install the F150 Raptor's Auxiliary Transmission cooler setup... just to give the transmission soom actual heat transfer versus depending on only the existing Coolant heat ex-changer device...

Cheers all! and wish us luck with the updated hardware/software. We are heading to Boise for the weekend, so if anything goes weird... I will report back.

baller32

Reaction score
Update on my issue, got it to the dealer and they pulled the pan and it was full of metal so new transmission is needed. Kick in the shorts for sure, just what I needed to do is dump $7K into a 2018 vehicle that is overpriced as it is.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update on my issue, got it to the dealer and they pulled the pan and it was full of metal so new transmission is needed. Kick in the shorts for sure, just what I needed to do is dump $7K into a 2018 vehicle that is overpriced as it is.
That is friggin' crazy! There is just too much crap with these ford products to the point that I'm thinking of getting rid of ours before it happens to us. Then there is the parts availability issue.
AARRRRRRGGGGGGGG!