Headers for a 2v 5.4 - Which ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
I'm comparing headers right now. There is a pretty good selection available but that also makes it more difficult to decide what to go with.

Summit Racing brand, Headman, Gibson, JBA, Flowmaster (I feel Flowmaster is kinda gimmicky), and PaceSetter are the brands I've found so far.

Does anyone have any experience? Has anyone installed headers on their 2v 5.4?

I also want to have the entire exhaust pipe replaced to a larger diameter to further allow better removal of the waste gasses.
I ran Doug Thorley's on my race truck but I haven't found that they make any for the 5.4 :(

On the PLUS SIDE! My HiPo COPs came in today so after I post this I'm off to install :)

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Wait wait hold up, I thought tanks are powered by turbine engines? You know jet engines and what's not... Tanks don't need headers... Hell you should be looking for wings, make your tank fly man, make it fly.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Haha... good one Habbibie. I've actually thought about having an exo-cage built. In case of the worst-case scenario accident and she rolls. My occupants and myself just walk away without injury.
As far as flying goes. I'd like to have some custom upper/lower extended length control arms fabricated to give her long-travel suspension. I think that 18" in the front and 12 in the rear should do.

The HiPo COPs are in. She's running better. Acceleration is improved. We'll see what the Torque app has to say and the MPG/Trip gains for this first tank of gas are.

Hopefully, I'll be back up to the 14MPG level again. This 10.4 shit has gotta go.

If these HiPo COPs don't work out, I'm stepping up to the WeaponX COPs.

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Haha alright bro don't take the joke seriously but it's all in good humor. Be honest with you cleaning the injectors (direct injection cleaning not through the gas tank or vacuum line) and replacing cats give back the highest MPG returns

Don't feel bad 10mpg is 6 more than mine currently.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's getting 4 mpg because his cam tensioners are shot. His cams are advancing and retarding all over the place. Changing to the hottest coils out there are not going to do anything for mileage. As far as power gains, ignition upgrades are the smallest gains. Bore and compression increase, better flowing heads, and higher lift, longer duration cams show the biggest seat of the pants, and dyno improvements. Habbibie is right about mileage and power going away, with clogged cats, a real common problem on these vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So back in my sport compact days, a trick to keeping the O2 sensor happy if the cat was removed was to use a spark plug non-fouler which spaced the sensor out of direct exhaust flow. Seemed like a long shot, but it worked.

As far as headers though, I have no clue.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
So back in my sport compact days, a trick to keeping the O2 sensor happy if the cat was removed was to use a spark plug non-fouler which spaced the sensor out of direct exhaust flow. Seemed like a long shot, but it worked.

As far as headers though, I have no clue.

True, but gutting the cats severely reduces low end torque so if you go that route add 2 more seconds to your 0-60 time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire