Headers or Dorman exhaust manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, my Expy now has the RH exhaust removed cause of a leak that drives me nuts. Tonight I removed the manifold and wondering if anyone has installed the replacement Dorman exhaust manifolds.

I am wondering if headers make that much of a difference in sound with the stock exhaust? I know in the old school small block chevys and fords it did. But I have no clue with the 5.4 with headers. Looks like the bolts to the heads would be a pain in the duppa.

If the Dorman exhaust is a waste of time and money I may just get headers.

let me know what you guys think.

also my exhaust nuts were sooooo rusted all they were, were round rusted globs. I took my air hammer and rapped on them a little, used a stud remover (looks like a socket with tapered reverse splines) on the studs and all came off without breaking any. No penetrating oil was used and no heat. Worked like a charm. The 2 nuts at the back to hold the exhaust pipe to the manifold, quickly snapped them with a 1/2" breaker bar.

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your looking for sound headers are not going to be that loud. you will need a combination of headers and an aggressive sounding muffler

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dorman manifold is a quality piece to replace a warped or cracked factory manifold. I recently replaced my leaky manifold. I used new stainless steel hardware I picked up on amazon or ebay.

OP
OP
Hit By Thunder

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, idid put a new Dorman manifold on. Its sounds so quiet now, no more embarrassing clunker sound.