Headlights not very bright

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NMExpy

Reaction score
Does anybody else think the headlights on your late model Expy are a bit dim?

I replaced the headlights on my '05 F-250 with HIDs and am considering doing the same with my '12 Expy because I'm really disappointed with the brightness.

Anybody done the HID conversion?

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always been very impressed with my 07's Headlight/Driving light combo. Never need my brights at all.

OP
OP
N

NMExpy

Reaction score
nothing will compare to HIDs...change'em...fogs too

Yeah I love the ones I put in my F-250. I got them from Retro Solutions and they are ten times brighter than the factory lights. Guess I have my first Expy mod.

Toyman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are these retro HID lights using projector lenses?

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine aren't. They are just straight bulb replacements. The only thing different is you have to wire in the ballast box and that's not hard.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Toyman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was my thought. The reflector lens is designed for a specific bulb application otherwise the light is scattered and can be blinding to oncoming traffic.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not as bad with the second gens, since we have a dedicated low and high beam. With the 1st and 3rd gens (or any car with the dual filament crap), any misalignment of the arc can be the difference between a low and high beam output. The same goes for HIDs in the fogs, since those don't really have cuttoffs.

Either way, I think you can get everything you need to do a retrofit for $200-300 from TRS.