headliner and plastics questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998exp330

Reaction score
imma post some pics soon, but i have some questions. does anyone know how to take out the headliner and pillar plastics? and other plastics in the first gen exp? i want to repaint my interior. stock tan but i want to paint my darker peices black. any help would be appreciatted thanks yall. in a couple months im painting my body to dark toreador red.

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So it depends a lot on if you have a sunroof and what you have for a ceiling console up front. You will need to take out all of the pillar plastics, they all pop off. In order to get the b and c pillars out youll also need to unbolt the seatbelt which is easy enough to do. Then the ones out back near the trunk will also pop right off. You'll find some push pins out back under the plastic panel on the roof which will come right out. Once you have all the pillar pieces from front to back taken out, then the headliner should be held up by your rubber door trim, the dome lights, and the flip down sun visors (also sunroof trim surround and front ceiling console if you have them). The dome lights will come out with some screws, you'll find those after you pop their little plastic covers off. Once you have everything taken out, you should be able to slide it freely out of the trunk, but be very careful not to let it bend because its a cheap cardboard-ish material that will bend easily and leave creases in the headliner fabric. I did the full interior color swap on my truck in the spring and i should have some pictures on my profile, so let me know if you have any questions

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So if it is the same as mine then youll need to take out all the pillars, front overhead console, sunroof rubber surround piece (held in with some weird glue that doesnt dry so just pull towards the center of the opening), backseat grab handles (bolts under the pop off covers), sun visors, 2nd and 3rd row dome lights, and the plastic panel on the ceiling in the trunk. I have 13" tint strip on the windshield so i deleted the sun visors with fiberglass and bondo, but other than that everything should be the same as mine.

OP
OP

1998exp330

Reaction score
thanks, i do have two question's how do i take the front seats out? and my expedition is a eddie it as the tan side moldings at the bottom outside, whats the best way to take them off too? thanks again

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not positive on the fender trim but the front seats will be 4 torx bolts each....one at each corner. To get them out, spray some penetrating oil and let it set in to the bolts because I snapped one trying to get them out