Heated / Cooled Seats not working properly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Starting from the beginning ... Current issue in bold if you want to skip the long history.

Prior to taking possession of my truck the selling dealership found that the heated/cooled seats in my vehicle would shut off immediately after pressing the button. They (allegedly) replaced the DSCM and associated relay. During the first few weeks of ownership, I was experiencing intermittent immediate shutoffs. After a few trips they were finally able to reproduce the problem and (allegedly) replaced the DSCM again. I say allegedly in both instances because this dealership refused to provide me copies of the RO. I paid nothing to the dealership for these issues so I didn't push the issue. When I got the truck back, the seats seemed to stay on so I thought the issue was resolved. However, I wasn't using the seats as it was summertime and I only use the heating function.

Fast forward to the fall. My wife and I started using the seats and noticed that although they were heating perfectly, they would shut off at exactly 15 minutes as if they were on a timer. We assumed this was normal at first, but a few friends and internet posters with 3rd gen Expeditions later told me it was not. Over the following months we also experienced a handful of instances in which the seats could not be turned back on after shutting off unless I turned off and restarted the vehicle.

In December I took the truck to my local dealership (not the selling dealership) and relayed the issue. They contacted Ford tech support and, ultimately, determined that the seats should run until manually turned off. The diagnosis listed on the RO for that visit states: "Scan for DTCs with IDS, Driver/Dual seat climate. Control module failure. Cannot communicate with IDS. Replace module recommended. Possible additional electrical diag required. Replaced heated seat module." Over the next few days we tested the seats and while they did now stay on indefinitely, they no longer heated up properly (details on that later). I informed the dealership of the problem immediately and they stated they would look at when I brought it back to complete some other repairs.

Later in December, after some parts came in for unrelated repairs, I returned the truck to the dealership. They kept my truck for 3 weeks. During this time they tested the seats, found no DTCs and considered the seats to be completely functional. Unfortunately, no one bothered to see if the seats were actually getting hot. After much debate I finally got the service manager on the issue and he acknowledged that the seats were not working properly. When I received my truck back in January, however, the problem was still not resolved. The dealership kept insisting that because there were no DTCs, the seats were functioning as designed. However, they still weren't heating up properly. They decided to throw more parts at it (because that's what "technicians" do) and ordered four TEDs (thermo-electric devices) for the seats.

Now here we are in February. The TEDs finally came in and were replaced this week. Nothing has changed. When you turn the seats on, you can hear a click, the fans come on, and the seats heat up. Even on high the upper seat backs get noticeably warm, but never hot. The seat bottoms and lower seat backs appear to be producing heat, but it's extremely minimal. According to the dealership, the DSCM was reporting temps within the specs specified in the service manual (~190F high, ~160F low). No one tested any component with an infrared thermometer gun. An intermittent communication error was detected during testing, but it was allegedly resolved after reconfiguring the DSCM. I was told that was the problem, but clearly it was not since nothing has changed in regards to the operation of the seats. They have already replaced the DSCM a total of 4 times in 7 months. No one at the dealership seems to know where to go from here and because they just want to wash their hands of it, they are using the Ford escape clause on the RO: "No DTCs. Operating as designed." The fact that the seats don't physically get hot is of no concern to them. Just to reiterate, the seats heated up properly prior to replacement of the DSCM in December, but shut off after 15 minutes. Any suggestions as to what may be causing such an issue? I am inclined to think the problem is related to programming or an electrical fault somewhere.

Last edited:

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read in a similar, related post that there was a bad ground. I am now having the issue of the heated/cooled function not working at all.

OP
OP
K

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a replacement pigtail for the DSCM that incorporates 2 ground wires that has fixed the issue for other people. Click on the "Heated and Cooled seats" below.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f40/heated-cooled-seats-21774/index2.html

I had that issue (seats immediately going off) when I first purchased the vehicle and the wiring harness was indeed fried. In their current state, however, they come on and stay on but the seats never become appropriately warm to the touch. One would think it was the cushions based on most of the symptoms, but if that were the case the problem wouldn't exist in all 4 seat pieces (2 backs + 2 bottoms) simultaneously. Also, the upper section of the seat gets noticeably warm (not as hot as it should, but hotter than the rest of the seat).

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Posted wrong information Deleted

Edit
Do you have the wiring diagrams for the seats I only have them up to the 2010 model but they should be the same for the 2011 Let me know

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Posted wrong information Deleted

Edit
Do you have the wiring diagrams for the seats I only have them up to the 2010 model but they should be the same for the 2011 Let me know

I do. Any ideas as to what the check with these symptoms in mind? Dealership seems to have washed their hands of it even though they caused it, so looks like I'm on my own.

Expywhite10

Reaction score
I recently had the same problem at the beginning of winter. Seats were on and warm, powered off the truck and turned it back on within 5 minutes. I tried to turn back on the seats and got the telltale lights flash on the buttons and immediately went back out.
Replaced the wiring harness the a new one, making the mod to jump the two ground leads into one. This worked to get the seats operational. However, the seats do not seem to be 100%. The seat backs get warm, but not as warm as they should. The seats bottoms barley get warm, and my wife thinks her passenger seat bottom isn't working at all. I thought maybe I made a mistake in the wiring to cause this condition, but I have not had a chance to pull it all back out to check. Reading the previous post, maybe this isn't the case at all.

I did not replace the DSCM, just the wiring harness at this point.

My seats do not shut off at 15 minutes, and stay on until shutting them off or turning off the key.