Heavy Duty Radiator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
There was a discussion on this subject 10 -12 years ago. There is a specific HD radiator which is thicker (front to back) but I don't recall how much. Same height and width and probably number of rows. Back then I was able to read the part number off my '07 HD radiator. But, alas, my saved photos from that era are hiding deep inside one of my hard drives. This was, of course, the 5.4V8.

The '07 part number may still work and may be a good starting point. There may still be messages here from the era.

I was curious about towing my 6000 pound travel trailer across the Pennsylvania turnpike thru what passes for mountains there for several years while my daughter attended college there. I had a data acquisition device plugged into the OBD2 port and the engine coolant graph was a literal flat line just below 200°F after the engine warmed up, rarely exceeding that temperature. The transmission temperature fluctuated with loads and shifting. Cylinder head temperature rose on the mountain grades but the coolant stayed in that 200 +/- a few degrees. (Auxiliary OBD2 gauge to read cylinder head temperature.)

-- Chuck

outdare

Reaction score
You can look at Mishimoto radiators. They make performance aftermarket parts for F150's and expeditions. Not sure is they have a direct replacement, but may have a solution.
Also you can call 5 star tuning I think they are a sponsor here. I believe the 14 F150 will fit our 2017 expie's.

https://5startuning.com/product/201...-performance-aluminum-radiator-mmrad-f150-11/

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can look at Mishimoto radiators. They make performance aftermarket parts for F150's and expeditions. Not sure is they have a direct replacement, but may have a solution.
Also you can call 5 star tuning I think they are a sponsor here. I believe the 14 F150 will fit our 2017 expie's.

https://5startuning.com/product/201...-performance-aluminum-radiator-mmrad-f150-11/

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info regarding performance radiators!...But, the OP was discussing a stock Ford HD radiator for the Espy and several (including me) question the existence of such an animal...BTW, I have never experienced overheating with my 2015, going up mountain passes in up to 90+ temps, pulling my 4,900 GVW trailer (6,000+ LB. loaded) and others have shared similar realities. Possibly the OP has a problem other than the radiator?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The HD radiator exists.

Note Post #11. I personally confirmed the HD radiator in my '07. The old thread may have comparison photos of the standard and thicker HD version.

Still shows as part of Option 536 (HD Tow) on my 2017 as it did on my '07. See page 16 of the 2017 Trailer Towing Guide. Option 536 is, I believe, included in higher trim packages so "having no problems" is certainly possible 'cuz the HD parts are already there. :)

-- Chuck

Last edited:

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is part of the mystery in that I have a XLT WO tow package, but with the auxiliary transmission cooler bracket on the stock radiator. Waiting to hear back from OP as to difference from the supposed HD radiator he is waiting to be delivered...I love mysteries!...

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the Towing Guides (plural) the 7-pole connector at the rear of the Expedition is only included with HD Tow 536 option (that option is standard on the Navigator and high trim models). This will be to the right side of the tow bar receiver; the 4-pole boat trailer connection is on the left. Easy way to identify HD tow on the Expedition the past 13 years, just look at the back bumper..

-- Chuck

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Looking at the Ford towing guide for the 2017 does seem to indicate two OEM radiator options.

tow.png

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to be a smart_ss, but if the factory says it, it must be so? My point is that I have seen no conclusive evidence that there is in fact a HD radiator. As noted by Langer earlier in this thread, the standard radiator has an auxiliary trans cooler bracket, (why) if there is actually a HD radiator which would of course be expected to have such an attachment...Don't believe Ford would spend $1.00 where not required...But, I could be wrong?...

PS: Just a thought, but could adding an auxiliary trans cooler to a standard radiator be construed to be a "Radiator Upgrade"?...Manufactures do "play on words" all the time...

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to be a smart_ss, but if the factory says it, it must be so? My point is that I have seen no conclusive evidence that there is in fact a HD radiator. As noted by Langer earlier in this thread, the standard radiator has an auxiliary trans cooler bracket, (why) if there is actually a HD radiator which would of course be expected to have such an attachment...Don't believe Ford would spend $1.00 where not required...But, I could be wrong?...

PS: Just a thought, but could adding an auxiliary trans cooler to a standard radiator be construed to be a "Radiator Upgrade"?...Manufactures do "play on words" all the time...
That would be a risky play on words. I saw a post lately where someone said there was an extra row on the HD one but I don't remember who it was.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting how some on this thread feel a need to defend the manufacturer...I don't know the answer, but I am just naturally curious when things don't quite add up...Just posing questions...