Help Determining If I have Tow Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
RACENUT

WITH THE STANDARD TOW PACKAGE ( 4 PIN ) Your GCWR is only 11,900lbs so if you figure that the Expy weighs in around 5000lbs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT!!! please stop giving false statements . 4 pin connectors DO NOT HAVE TRAILER BRAKE PROVISIONS. In most states any trailer over 3000 lbs
must have trailer brakes.
PLEASE post with care,people can take you info to heart and end up hurting
or killing someone...
ADMIN

JUST4FUN

I am not trying to come off as an *** but I am defending the information that was put out.

MAXIMUM GCWR ( Gross Combined Weight Rating )( Expy, trailer and all persons and cargo together )

All of the GCWR numbers came right from the Expedition owners manual and if you look at the same post you quoted the first paragraph last sentence says

"of course with these weights you would need to have operational trailer brakes either hydrolic surge or electric."
Also in the same post I also wrote

"( **NOT SURE HOW MUCH YOUR EXPY WEIGHS, MAKE SURE TO HAVE IT SCALED AT YOUR LOCAL TRUCK STOP TO FIND OUT** )" This was put in so that he can figure out the exact weight of trailer that can be safely towed without going over his GCWR.

POST #7

QUOTE: I confirmed there is an electronic brake control connector under the dash & a 5th wire for it at the 4-pin connector. END QUOTE

The expy HAS the brake contoller provisions PRE WIRED in the harness. All you have to do is get under the truck at the rear wiring conector where the trailer harness is plugged in and get the controller wire that is there. Then under the dash right next to the obd II port is the PRE WIRED conector for hooking up the controller.

I am not trying to give out FALSE STATEMENTS this particular user under stands that he has to have trailer brakes and has also already looked to make sure he had the provisions for them and also stated that he knows how to change the connector over from a 4 pin to a 7pin.

He wants to know what his Expedition is SAFELY capable of towing and the information that I was giving again came from the OWNERS MANUAL.

I have been towing for many years and the last thing I want is someone getting hurt.

Last edited:

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is straight from the 2006 model year owners manual:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WO6EXD/~MUS~LEN/41/06exdog2e.pdf

PAGES 236 & 237

4x4
5.4L with standard trailer towpackage

GCWR 11900LBS TRAILER WEIGHT RANGE 0–6000LBS

5.4L with optional trailer towpackage

GCWR 14500LBS TRAILER WEIGHT RANGE 0–8600LBS

Note: For vehicles not equipped with the optional trailer tow package,
the maximum frontal area of trailer should not exceed the frontal area
of the vehicle (3.4 square meters [36.5 square feet]).

Note: For vehicles equipped with the optional trailer tow package, the
maximum frontal area of trailer should not exceed 5.6 square meters
(60 square feet).

Do not exceed the maximum loads listed on the Safety Compliance
Certification label. For load specification terms found on the label, refer
to Vehicle loading in this chapter. Remember to figure in the tongue
load of your loaded trailer when figuring the total weight.
Towing trailers beyond the maximum recommended gross trailer
weight exceeds the limit of the vehicle and could result in
engine damage, transmission damage, structural damage, loss of
control, vehicle rollover and personal injury.

Integrated hitch rating

The standard integrated hitch has two ratings depending on mode of
operation:

• Weight carrying - requires a draw bar and hitch ball. The draw bar
supports all the vertical tongue load of the trailer.

• Weight distributing - requires an aftermarket weight distributing
system which includes draw bar, hitch ball, spring bars and snap-up
brackets. The vertical tongue load of the trailer is distributed between
the truck and the trailer by this system.

Weight carrying

MAXIMUM GROSS TRAILER WEIGHT 6000LBS
MAXIMUM TOUNGE WEIGHT 600LBS

Weight distributing

MAXIMUM GROSS TRAILER WEIGHT 8950LBS
MAXIMUM TOUNGE WEIGHT 895LBS

These are hitch ratings only; actual vehicle ratings are dependent on
engine, transmission and axle combinations.
Towing trailers beyond the maximum tongue weight exceeds the
limit of the towing system and could result in vehicle structural
damage, loss of vehicle control and personal injury.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
the seconf paragraph sounds like your describing the weight limits to a 4 pin connector as being 11600 lbs, and that you only need a brake control for 14500lbs thats how i read it

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
THE MAXIMUM RATING OF THE HITCH WITH WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION IS 8950LBS.

If you had the optional heavy tow package your base line trailer weigh would be 8600lbs with a MAXIMUM GCWR ( Gross Combined Weight Rating ) OF 14,500LBS ( Expy, trailer and all persons and cargo together ) of course with ANY of these weights you would need to have operational trailer brakes either hydrolic surge or electric.

this sounds great ,good info....

WITH THE STANDARD TOW PACKAGE ( 4 PIN ) Your GCWR is only 11,900lbs so if you figure that the Expy weighs in around 5000lbs ( **NOT SURE HOW MUCH YOUR EXPY WEIGHS, MAKE SURE TO HAVE IT SCALED AT YOUR LOCAL TRUCK STOP TO FIND OUT** ) and a trailer of 6000lbs that puts you at 11,000lbs so you would only have an aditional 900lbs until you are at the maximum weight rating of YOUR Expy ( with out optional heavy tow package ) with weight distribution.

this makes it sound like i can tow up to 11,900 GCWR with a 4 pin connector
thats what i was trying to get across

Last edited:

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
THE MAXIMUM RATING OF THE HITCH WITH WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION IS 8950LBS.

If you had the optional heavy tow package your base line trailer weigh would be 8600lbs with a MAXIMUM GCWR ( Gross Combined Weight Rating ) OF 14,500LBS ( Expy, trailer and all persons and cargo together ) of course with ANY of these weights you would need to have operational trailer brakes either hydrolic surge or electric.

this sounds great ,good info....

WITH THE STANDARD TOW PACKAGE ( 4 PIN ) Your GCWR is only 11,900lbs so if you figure that the Expy weighs in around 5000lbs ( **NOT SURE HOW MUCH YOUR EXPY WEIGHS, MAKE SURE TO HAVE IT SCALED AT YOUR LOCAL TRUCK STOP TO FIND OUT** ) and a trailer of 6000lbs that puts you at 11,000lbs so you would only have an aditional 900lbs until you are at the maximum weight rating of YOUR Expy ( with out optional heavy tow package ) with weight distribution.

this makes it sound like i can tow up to 11,900 GCWR with a 4 pin connector
thats what i was trying to get across

I should have worded it different.

The owners manual says that the standard towing package GCWR is 11,900LBS which allows for a 6,000LBS trailer but it only comes with a 4 pin connector and prewired for trailer brakes which are a necesity.

The only reason that I had put the 4 pin in there was to identify the towing package that he had.

hautevue

Reaction score
I definitely concur with Racenut--run do not walk to your friendly Ford dealer with your Expy VIN and get the Parts Dept to print out the "as built" sheet from Ford. Only the dealers have access to this.

This will give you every little thing on your Expy, and should be filed away with your "valuable papers". I carry a copy in my "glove box" when traveling.

It has all the Product Numbers -- these numbers code stuff like rear end ratios, tranny type, engine size, etc., as well as towing info. Worth the trip to a dealer. Knowing you have funny Ford codes like a "QM47G" rear end isn't really helpful, but at least you can then ask the dealer what the codes translate into. The Parts Dept guys work with the codes all the time--we don't.