Help me with this noise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98Navi

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I had some noise in my engine bay that sounded alot like a power steering pump going bad. However, it was my tensioner pully. I changed out the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley right next to it. Sounds much better. However, now I hear a different sound. Not sure if it was there before and was drowned out by the bad pulley or if this is new. I know it's not the new idler pulley because I pulled it off and ran without it and had the same sound.

So now for some facts. This is a 5.4l V8 in a 1998 Lincoln Navigator It's got about 160K miles on it.

I can't tell if the noise is outside the engine or inside. I feel like it's outside near the front but fear it's in the top end somewhere. What worries me is that after I bought it I realized it was 3 quarts low on oil I Know, should have check before I paid but I got a steal on it and was rushing a bit. Lesson learned. Almost thought it sounded like noisey rocker arms or something but when I shut the engine off it sounds like a bearing or pully coming to a start, like it winds down.

So have a listen if you would and see if you can help me identify it or give me some idea on where to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-xr0TNZKE

Last edited:
OP
OP

98Navi

Reaction score
Ok so I ran down to Wally world and picked up a stethoscope. Listened around a bit and think I found where the sound is coming from. Sounds a little like a tick with a squeal....very hard to explain. Here's a pic of where the sound seems the loudest.

uXMFXuc.jpg

OP
OP

98Navi

Reaction score
I've been doing some reading and listening to other people's videos and I think you are right. How bad of a job is it on these engines? If I drive it am I likely to cause catostrophic failure?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending much of the guide has parted company will depend on how much damage will be caused. My son changed them on the expy that had 225 on the clock and they didn't sound anywhere near as bad as those.
You will also need the cam holding tool, we opted for two of them to make it easier.

These are interference engines, the valve stems are narrow, they will not tolerate being tapped by a piston. Make damn sure you are at TDC on #1 before pulling the chains. See the manual for step by step procedures to verify.

The biggest pain was the valve cover gaskets, both sides dropped out of the groove and leaked. Had to do them twice, siliconed the little sheets in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP

98Navi

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be tearing into the front of this thing as soon as the weather allows it. I've got an FSM on the way so that will help me get through it. I did a timing set on a 74 CJ5 with a V8 a while back so I'm not a total stranger.

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video clip. Now if I hear thst sound, I'll know exactly what it is. Please be sure to post pictures for us to see the damaged/worn parts.

OP
OP

98Navi

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video clip. Now if I hear thst sound, I'll know exactly what it is. Please be sure to post pictures for us to see the damaged/worn parts.

If I remember I'll take lots of pictures and do a thread on it because I've yet to find one online of somebody doing the timing set. My FSM should be here in a couple days. Now if the weather would warm up so I can start working!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker