HELP with purchase decision on a '11 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

w8tn4retrmnt

Reaction score
Seriously looking at '11 Expy with only 48K miles. I've had people give me negative comments regarding the 5.4 Triton 3V engines and now I'm scepticle. The vehicle is base model and in excellent condition. Drove it and engine is smooth and quiet but I've heard of the serious issues with the spark plugs. Can anyone give me feedback on if Ford corrected the problem which seemed to be inherent in the earlier models.
I'd really like to purchase this one but.......

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my last job working at a gold mining company in Nevada, I had a F-150 as a company vehicle with over 250,000 miles on its 5.4 Triton 3V. It was as us geologists call a "beater". These were hard miles most of which were on dirt roads. The vehicle was a 2006 so by 2011, any short comings would have been figured out. The vehicle was literally falling apart by the seams from the off-road travel, but the engine was still strong. If not for the engine, the vehicle would have been sold at auction by the mine long ago.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Yea the rumors are due to the 05-06 model years of the expedition. The spark plug and phaser issues were worked out and resolved starting in year 2009 model years.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say go for it. Any engine issues will not even begin to crop up until after 100,000 miles. Change the oil in it regularly because that is what caused the cam phaser issues in the earlier engines. These engines have the 1-piece spark plugs so no problem there. As long as you are happy with the base model go for it.

I had an 05 and had 146,000 miles on it when I traded it with no real issues.

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 2006 F150 XLT (5.4) before I traded it off for the '15 EL. There was around 150-160k miles on it when it moved on the greener pastures, IIRC. I had one problem with it in stock form and it was because when I bought it, the plugs had been changed but not tightened which caused a gas smell and ticking sound, obviously, as compression and fuel were bypassing the plugs. A bit of work torquing them to spec and I never had to mess with the engine again. I change my oil at 5k miles with regular 10W-30 dino oil and, sometimes, run some Seafoam through the engine before the oil change to clean things out.

I didn't have any problems with that truck until I decided I wanted to put 35's on it and trusted the wrong mechanic to do the work. It's a long, expensive story so I wont get into it but even still, I never had any issues with the truck as far as the engine and transmission. After I started modding, things went to hell but it was not the trucks fault. It drained my wallet and ruined an otherwise fine truck in the process.

I used to be on the F150 forums and there were complaints of phasers and plug breakage but if one went back and researched the people who were having issues, I generally found there was some modifications done in the past for more power or to make it faster, or, even no issue at all. Some just read posts and were convinced their truck would fail, so they tore into the engine to make the 'mods' and tore it up in the process. One time this guy was complaining of ticking and fuel smell to which all the respondents had him convinced he needed to tear his engine apart and 'lock his phasers'. He was stressed over the expense until I told him my plug story which fixed his issue. I say all that to say this; be wary of what you read online. Generally the only people who post are those who are having issues and those issues could be self-induced.

We also had a 2007 EL with the 5.4 and loved it, up until it got over 100k miles then it seemed we started having some electrical issues, not in the engine or anything but in the AC unit and other internal nuisances. Well, I take that back. It did start missing once but a plug and COP change resolved the issue. Anyway, after about $3k in repairs, I finally got mad and traded it off when in reality, all the problems were fixed and the next owner got a fine vehicle.

I do that. I repair vehicles for other people before trading them in. I also buy stocks, gold and silver when they're high and sell when they're low.

I say all that to get to this point: if it's been taken care of and left alone, you will probably have a fine vehicle that will give you years of enjoyment. There will be issues arise, as it is with all vehicles, but that's the gamble one takes when buying used. Just give it a good look-over, drive it hard before buying and, if possible, let it sit and idle for 20 minutes before killing it. If it all checks out and you can financially swing it, take it home and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say go for it. Both mine and my dad's Expeditions are well over 100k miles with the 5.4L V8, and they have not had any problems. The problems may have occured for an earlier model year, but they have long been ironed out. If you do get the Expedition, congrats! They're awesome trucks.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As Habbibie stated, the spark plug issue ended in 2008, starting 2009, Ford went with a one piece spark plug. An '11 model should be free from all the maladies of the earlier models. It might be worth the expense to have a mechanic do a full inspection before you buy. You don't need any surprises right after purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rigpig

Reaction score
I bought my '09 for a back-up/hunting/gun range vehicle BECAUSE of the 5.4L. I've had several high mileage Tritons over the years and hadn't had any issues. With that kind of mileage on the one you're looking at, OP, you couldn't hardly go wrong and should be able to put many trouble-free miles on it.

DAVID GATES

Reaction score
On my 2006 Eddie Bauer edition 6 of the 8 busted off in the head.that was at 115,000. I have sense pulled the plugs again and had no problems did use antiseize

Judge Mills

Full Access Members
Reaction score
146k miles on my 05', no problems at all. Yeah, the plugs are expensive to change if you don't do it yourself, but every engine has something. I don't consider that a big issue as long as you consider it part of your planned maintenance.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire