HID conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

737jet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to butt in guys. Had to ask a weird question about HID's going into the cheap Ebay headlights. It's in my 98 Exp. I'll post a pic up later but they have the fancy halo look and led's.

It says specificly on the housings not to use with HID. It uses an H3 bulb. Since the lighting was poor, I did it anyways.

Now the light is kinda weird. I had to adjust the housings up to get it to shine right. It's bright to the left and right but not so much down the line of sight.

Any options?

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well my headlight housings i bought from ebay as you can see in my sig said to not use HID's in them, but i did it anyway. I didnt have a single problem with anything.

I have the H3 bulbs as well jet and i'm not sure what i can tell you other than to keep adjusting them until they look right.

Sorry you had to ditch them avro....i guess thats the price to pay for living where it gets so cold lol

SPreston2001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok guys im about to make the leap into the HID world, and I have a couple questions. Ok I have Halo Projector Headlights installed and for all you guys that have Halos I need to know which kit I need to order to work with my Halos. Im confused because the Halos use H3 bulbs but come with a adapter that allows you to plug in the stock 9007 Expy socket. So if I order a H3 kit how will I hook up my stock 9007 harness to the kit? Im guessing these kits are plug n play so if I purchase a H3 kit how will it connect to my stock 9007 wiring harness? Wont the plug on a H3 kit be fitted for a H3 wiring harness? Or are these kits vechicle specific? Im confused?

Last edited:

EGTFitZ

Reaction score
I think I want to get HID's in my stock headlight assembly, no projectors. I know they won't aim that well but it'll be bright as heck. Has anyone done this? What can I expect?

My friend has the deep blue in his Tundra and they flood the road with color. I want mine in piss yellow though. :)

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do the same with mine as well. Just try to aim to headlights properly to minimize the glare to oncoming cars.

I'm thinking of doing 4300K in the lows, and leaving the Silverstars everywhere else.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wont the plug on a H3 kit be fitted for a H3 wiring harness? Or are these kits vechicle specific? Im confused? [/B]

If the actual bulb that is in your headlight is an H3 than that's the kit that you order. the HID bulb is just that. it's the replacement bulb and at least with my projector headlights the halo is completely seperate from the headlight bulb. So you should be cool. I've never heard of anyone running into an issue with the HID's and the halos not working.

Although the new headlights will be a lot brighter than the halo's and a lot of the times you can't see them anyway lol Hope this helps.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want mine in piss yellow though. :) [/B]

Sorry dude lol When you go HID it's only white or blueish white or blue. Purple if you go with a 12000k but that's a little overkill imo. I went with 10000k and they are perfect blue. although if i had to do it over i would go with a more white bulb. in the rain the blue tint sucks hardcore to see anything.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do have 3000k color HIDs which are yellow. I think I've also seen 2000k, which I would imagine would be more yellow.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to think the same thing as you, until I start looking into the subject. It's only some of the sellers that carry colors that low. Most usually focus from 5000k and up.

Originally, I was going to order them from HID4U on ebay. People who've gotten HIDs from him on F150online seem to like the results. The only problem I've seen is some people's ballasts going out. The general theory on the cause is because they aren't using relays connected to the battery.

Then, someone posted a link to another seller, retro-solutions, on ebay. Seems they have a lifetime warranty, which is a plus. Also, they have the 4300k color for the 9006 bulb, which is also nice. :) They have the 3000k for you, EGTFitz. ;) Here's their website for the F150online pricing: Click Me. For the 9006 kit, their ebay store is 5 dollars cheaper than the group buy price.