HID high and low beam question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bauer03

Reaction score
Just bought my expedition and want HID'S both high and low beams. Not sure if I need two bulbs for each side or if I can get one bulb like my last truck. Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

ExpyKurt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also would like to put HID's in my truck, and I'm HID stupid... So seeing that there is so many to choose from, what gets the brightest light without the headlights looking blue, or any other color then pure white?

I would like to change highs, lows, and fogs.

2005 XLT

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
03 -06(2nd gen) are two separate. not sure about 3rd gen. you will need two sets. 3 if you do fogs. for brightest light its 4300k hid. im sure thermo will be along to answer more
go to http://ddmtuning.com/

you can also go to my album to see what they look like. im running 8k HIDS

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just bought my expedition and want HID'S both high and low beams. Not sure if I need two bulbs for each side or if I can get one bulb like my last truck. Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

if you have 1997-02 i dont think they are dual lights...might be one light so you'd need some bi-xenon HIDs...i could be wrong

I also would like to put HID's in my truck, and I'm HID stupid... So seeing that there is so many to choose from, what gets the brightest light without the headlights looking blue, or any other color then pure white?

I would like to change highs, lows, and fogs.

2005 XLT

for 2003-2006...9006 are low beam and 9005 are high beam...9145 are fogs...you wont need high beam HIDs because the low HIDs put out so much light in the OEM headlights...you'll never use your high beams...i ran through no light back roads in alabama and never needed my high beams...4300k-5000k are the whitest...most use 6000k...just a slight touch of blue...thats far as you want to go...anything higher gives you more blue and less light/bright...

6000k HID fogs
IMG00030-20101122-1645_2.jpg

heads/fogs HIDs 6000k
IMG00008-20101115-1826.jpg

IMG00013-20101119-1704.jpg

retrofitted with projector 6000k HIDs
IMG00183-20110613-2114.jpg

020-1.jpg

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 6k hids for the low beams. if i bought bulbs again, i would do 5k.

OP
OP
B

Bauer03

Reaction score
Mine is an 03 only had it a week but I love it always wanted one. Thanks for the info.

MrAce87

Reaction score
if you have an 07 and up, they use a single bulb for high and low. H13 and 9145 fogs. You have to look for the ones that have both high and low HID. Currently, my lows are only HID and my highs are halogen. I have an 08 and went with 6k everything. totally regret doing this btw. It may look 'cool' but you really end up loosing visibility in the end. 300 dollars well spent...../sarcasm. I'm going to redo my set up next winter when we start losing daylight in Alaska. I'm definitely going with 43k or even 5k for high and lows and 3k fogs. Im looking for visibility and not coolness

edit: just saw you said you have an 03. hope the rest helps with what you're looking for

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guess it depends on eyes...i see fine...even though its not the brightest light

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another HID thread where I posted an image of my output.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=5986

Post 2 and 3 have some of my pictures. In case you don't feel like reading, it's 4300k in the lows.

I wouldn't put HIDs in the high beams since 1) they don't warm up fast enough to be used in typical high beam fashion, 2) you'll kill the bulbs since you usually won't give them enough time to warm up before having to turn them off, and 3) because of the placement of the arc, they don't focus as well as your standard halogen 9005 bulb filament, so the light is a bit scattered.

I tried some in my high beams for one trip, and took them out since they didn't really seem to help much more than my halogens. At least not enough to outweigh reasons 1 and 2 above.