Hitch cover replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone makes a shorty 7-pin adapter that you could mount to the modified cover, and plug into the OE plug. Then you just plug your trailer wiring into the cover, instead of routing it through a grommet.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone makes a shorty 7-pin adapter
This would be a great product idea.
I hope one of our vendors is watching.
There are adapters out there for many situations @ many lengths already.(google it) Can find exactly what you want? Buy the ends and you can make whatever you need very easily.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are adapters out there for many situations @ many lengths already.(google it) Can find exactly what you want? Buy the ends and you can make whatever you need very easily.

Thanks, but I meant a modified cover that looks nice and still allows use of the hitch.

Pancho258

Reaction score
Look closely at the picture, how do you get your trailer light connection plugged in? You’d have to remove the cover to access the plug. I’m not even sure you could connect the safety chains with the. cover in place.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The proper way to do this is to design a plastic part to mount behind the hitch. The current hitch cover can be used when the hitch is not in use. I have thought about doing this, but haven't done it yet. I think it would be a profitable part for a 3rd party supplier.

yankeecause

Reaction score
If you’re going to leave the hitch in coat the insert with anti seize or the like. It could rust in and be darned near impossible to remove.

OP
OP
TravisD

TravisD

Reaction score
Well - was it a complete disaster?
Not a complete disaster just yet. I have the spare cut and primed. Just been busy and haven't painted yet. I should get it done this week. It looks like its going to work, but my craftsmanship could have been better. It was tough cutting the plastic smoothly, and a couple measurements were off just a hair making a couple lines off, so the safety chain cutouts are a wee bit crooked and a bit bigger than they need to be. I’ll put up some pics when its done.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a complete disaster just yet. I have the spare cut and primed. Just been busy and haven't painted yet. I should get it done this week. It looks like its going to work, but my craftsmanship could have been better. It was tough cutting the plastic smoothly, and a couple measurements were off just a hair making a couple lines off, so the safety chain cutouts are a wee bit crooked and a bit bigger than they need to be. I’ll put up some pics when its done.

I hope you post pictures.

I may try something like this.