Trailer Hitch Cover Removal - What's the secret?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pete Costanza

Reaction score
I have to use a 4” drop ball mount for our 20 Expedition to tow our pop up camper. My 22 F150 uses a 2” drop to tow the same camper. Hitch is definitely high on these. Keep in mind the suspension is softer on these than a truck, so expect the hitch to be a little lower with the Expy loaded up and with trailer tongue weight.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pro tip: If the truck has been driven through mud/dust since the last time you've taken it off, reach under with a hose and rince the mud/dust off first. much better than getting a face full of dirt while working the tabs from underneath...

lkTN

Reaction score
Agree 100% about the "Cheesy Solution"! Also about the precipitous DROP hitch required! After talking to a detailer, Got a set of the trim removal tools at Harbor Freight. Using some of the aforementioned techniques - but with the help of the non-marring plastic tools, found the "trick" to removal!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't remember them every being that hard to pull off. I generally take mine off in the spring and don't put it back on until its snowing again. The bike rack goes on in the spring and only comes off to put the trailer hitch on.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where did you get the trim removal tool? I’d like to get one and do the same.

I ordered a cheap kit of plastic trim removal tools from Amazon. They have come in handy many times when I need to "gently pry" without marring surfaces.

Mine is gone from amazon, but something like this:

Pry bar kit

a3.jpg