Honking Frustration-Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't close the door all the way. Just close it so it barely latches and dome light stays on. The horn won't honk. Some 2011+ Explorer owners have found that if they hold the fob against the B-pillar as they close the drivers door, they can exit their running Explorer and not be super annoyed by the honk. To which some people *still* complain because evidently pulling the fob out of their pocket is a huge hassle. Some people...

No dealer will not be able to disable this (safety) feature for you. Same issue/same result with numerous automakers, not a Ford thing.

Police Interceptor sedan and SUV still use traditional keys and have their gear selector on the column.

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After all the input I have received on this, I think closing the door to its semi-latched position is my best option. I can see where Ford would consider it a liability to change it in the programming. This is part of the "lowest common denominator" syndrome of a legal world we live in now...

Thanks Flexpedition for your input.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There MAY be a way Nevada.....I belong to several different forums related to my vintage bikes and one of these guys was able to tell me the "secret code" to entering the programmer mode so I shut off the auto-lock feature of one of my older Expy's so I'll reach out to him and see if he knows a way. I agree, I HATE getting a jump every time that horn beeps at me too!

WTTC!

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, my buddy replied right away but this is all he was able to point me to....evidently, there IS a way....but we just have to find out how to enter "programming mode", the same mode I had to enter to disable the "auto-lock" on my '03 EB model. I can tell you how I got into programming mode for the 03 but I'd be afraid that I might be setting you up for a disaster since the sequence's could be so drastically different from your truck that it caused more problems then it solves!

http://mikehmayer.com/stuff/xB/KARR 4040a.pdf

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's the sequence BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHAT MODELS THIS APPLIES TO!!! BE VERY CAREFUL! I'm not so sure that this would be safe to try but is does look like it might disable the alarm (horn chirps) if is does work for your model!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
How To Disable AutoLocks
Note: Manual transmission vehicles have this feature disabled at the factory. This procedure applies to most newer Ford vehicles, not just Ford trucks.

The enable/disable mode allows the autolock feature to be turned off and on. On manual transmission vehicles, when replacing the remote anti-theft personality (RAP) module, the autolock feature must be turned off by using the enable/disable mode.

The enable/disable mode is entered when the following series of steps is performed:

1. Confirm that the perimeter alarm is disarmed.

2. Close all doors.

3. Confirm that the ignition switch is in the OFF position.

Note: Steps 4 through 8 must be performed within 30 seconds.

4. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN.

5. Press the power door lock UNLOCK button three times.

6. Turn the ignition switch from RUN to OFF.

7. Press the power door lock UNLOCK button three times.

8. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN.

9. Verify that the RAP module chirps the horn. This indicates that the RAP module is now in the enable/disable mode and ready to accept program changes.

10. Press the power door lock UNLOCK button one time to command the RAP module to toggle the autolock/relock feature ON or OFF.

11. Press the power door lock LOCK button once to enter the command.

12. Verify that the vehicle horn chirps one time to signal the RAP module confirmation of the command. There should only be one chirp indicating that the autolock/relock feature has been disabled. If one chirp is heard, followed by a longer honk, the autolock/relock feature has just been enabled. Return to step 10.

13. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position to exit the enable/disable mode.

14. Verify that the RAP module chirps the horn once to indicate that a feature has been changed.

The autolock and the appropriate alarm configuration are turned on at the factory on vehicles with automatic transmissions. Vehicles with manual transmissions have the autolock turned off at the factory. The RAP module returns to the prior setting any time battery power is interrupted.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found this on another forum:

It appears that the only way to avoid the chirp is to hold the fob above the door as you're shutting it. It works on my wife's 2015 Explorer with push button start. It's still incredibly annoying though, and I'd love to find a permanent fix.

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's another:

Try this. With the truck running, get out of the truck, place your keyfob at the top of the driver's side door frame when you close door (just press it up against the upper outside door frame - above the keypad). Once you close the door, put the keyfob back in your pocket and walk away. When you walk away the truck will remain running and will not double-honk.

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately guys, there are people who travel through life looking to become part of the "offended" and have taken legal recourse so many times that manufacturers in every industry try to stupid-proof cars, trucks, can openers, beach balls, dry cleaning overlays....my son is an attorney and you wouldn't believe the stories I hear from him. Sadly, these people quite often win large sums....for being stupid. It won't change until we stop rewarding stupid....ok, rant over<LOL>

jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt