Honking Frustration-Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the intelligent access key and like to keep it in my pocket at all times. This is for a 2017 Expedition Limited with 302A package. I have set the autolock feature to unlock so the doors stay unlocked when the vehicle is running. My frustration is this; when I get out of the vehicle and leave it running, close the door to get the mail or something else, it honks twice. I do not like this feature at all. Studying the OM, there is nothing in settings to turn off the honk. I know it is an alert that I am walking away with the fob in my pocket and the vehicle is running, but duh, I KNOW the vehicle is running. The honk is a PITA.
I went to the dealership yesterday (a Saturday...) to ask how to turn this feature off and no one knew the answer. So, does anyone on the forum have an answer on how to turn this off? Leaving the fob in the vehicle is not an option since it stays in my pocket at all times.

Any ideas??

Thanks guys!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell it is a safety feature and you can't turn it off. The only option is to leave the fob in the truck. I looked through my settings and didn't see any way to control it.

I know that if you had access to a programmer you could access the core software and make a change to a specific line of code, but unless you are a developer for Ford, you're not likely to get your hands on one of those. I used to work for a guy who wrote code for GM and he had a device that he could plug into any vehicle and change the software.

This probably wasn't much help.

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks EAndy. I have pretty much exhausted all options on this. Talking to the sales people at the dealership yesterday may have pointed me in that direction to have codes redone. The dealership is bending over backward for customer satisfaction so far and I was pretty adamant when I spoke to them about this. Seems to me it should be an optional setting. Maybe they can do this. Just seems a bit silly to leave it running, close the doors and it honks at you.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, It's not like you can't hear the engine running. I guess they are afraid that they'll get sued if somebody jumped in a drove a way with it because it didn't have that feature. :)

Welcome to the forum. I just noticed that you joined today.

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. Been trolling for a while and decided to belly up to the bar.

I do like most of the optional settings on the Fords. I do geological field work and will get in an out quite often. So I offed the BeltMinder PITA and the power locks etc. In my wife's Toyota and my old Toyota Tacoma, you could not turn off the seat belt chime, which I moan about when I drive it. I always wear my seatbelt at highway speeds (seen too much to not...) but there are times when the belt is not necessary, especially in the back country wilds of the West.

Thanks for the welcome.:happy160:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only had mine almost 4 weeks now. This my second Expedition, first new one. I really like the option groups that came with mine. I have the push button start and power folding running boards. I have the limited EL and except for the high end suspension in the Platinum It has all the bells and whistles.

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yours looks like mine except I got the Ingot Silver and not the EL. Had mine about a month too and love it. I liked the white upgraded paint, but got the silver. Nevada is the "silver state" despite the fact we produce 90% of the nations gold. Yes, the options package is great and especially with the freedom to turn each on or off. I like the fact you can customize it not like Toyota.

Once I find out how to turn the horn honk I will post it for the group.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought mine, my only choice was a tri-coat white EL. It had everything on it that I wanted so other than the color I had no objections. The white is growing on me and I really like it now especially when the sun hits it. I changed out my halogen headlights and put in HIDs, that's the only modification that I made. I may eventually change all of the bulbs over to LED but I haven't decided.

I hope you can find out how to turn off the horn honk.

Andy

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yep there is no way the user can shut off the honk feature.
you may be able to let your ford guy connect to oasis and toggle through the police or LEO settings and see if its an option to "silence" but i imagine its not, but wouldn't hurt to ask?

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for that powerboatr. That will be my approach with this. Our Highway Patrol here in Nevada use mostly souped up Explorers, so maybe there is a chance the dealership can do the plug-in.