Hope I don't regret it....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEF199

Reaction score
Well I sold my 84 bronco and going to buy my wife a minivan and I'm taking the 99 EB. We have had this truck for along time 245K miles...and has never towed anything or been off-roading.

Now that I will be using the truck not as a daily driver but for hunting, beach, TOY! ect. Anyway how "4x4" are these trucks? Looking under neith it looks stout....just always looked at it as a socer mom 4wd.

Ours is AWD how well does that work in mud/sand? will there be a need for lockers? For now I'm doing the keys/front and spacer/rear lift and some meatier tires (hopefully 295 70 17) on the stock rims. Also want to replace springs and shocks. Then remove the third row seat. Maybe body lift down the road then some bigger wheels and tires.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
these trucks are very capable. you dont need a locker unless you plan on doing some crazy offroading in some deep mud or hitting the rock piles! hahah.

OP
OP
J

JEF199

Reaction score
I wasn't sure cause the bronco was 4x4.....but only had one power wheel on each axle. wasn't sure about the AWD in the these weather or not it would hold up to off-roading (always switching power from one wheel to the other).

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my experience it absolutely sucks if you go mudding and the axle sends power to only one front and one rear wheel. Those are the guys we always pull out, because they get stuck EVERYWHERE. If you're planning on going through any mud, get a limited slip front and rear. I don't know if the EXP already has that, but make sure it works if it does. As for locked axles....I wouldn't mess with them on a street vehicle.

secondechomatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an auburn locker in the back of mine and its fine on the street.

My 78 bronco had a detroit...that got interesting in the snow. LOL

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you get a selectable locker front and rear there shouldnt be any problems on the street. but you really dont need that unless you are doing some serious mudding. i have the limited slip in my expy and i do just fine. have yet to be stuck in my black one.....the white one you see in the signature didnt have a lift and i got hung up on the front end but other than that, she was doing good in the mud. and as you can see, it wasnt shallow!