Real world MPG results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsmless

Reaction score
Alright, looking for real mpg numbers to compare them against mines. I have been doing some 500 mike trips on my 5.4 2007 ssv, to both the beach and a hunting trip. The beach trip was pretty flat driving with AC on all the time. The hunting trip was a mix of elevation changes and alot of 4lo crawling. On the freeway I do 70 mph as the mud tread putts you to sleep at 75 mph.
Average I got was 11.8mph.
This is with a 3/2” lift, on 35” tires on method 17” wheels so not really heavy. Have a roofrack and 17 gallon water tank I use plus coolers full of ice and 4 people. Is this MPG about what I should expect?

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 08 expedition EL limited, it had covered about 160,000 miles and was averaging around 9 to 10 mpg, I thought it was normal, but I then towed a small enclosed trailer for about 800 miles at fairly high speed (85mph) and the engine really had to work to hold the speed (I just set cruise control and let it work). After the trip, my normal MPG jumped to 13 or 14 MPG, so I think all the sensors had got covered in oil and soot and I was running rich, after 20 hours of hard work (pulling that trailer) I think the oil and soot must have got burnt off and my mixture probably became leaner and hence the MPG increased. The car is now at 220,000 miles and I still average high 13 MPG average, town and freeway driving.

all that is to say, yours is probably running a bit rich to get MPG numbers that low (or maybe you have a very heavy right foot), but cleaning/replacing the oxygen sensors might give you a nice boost in MPG.

JimR_TN

Reaction score
Fuelly is a good site to see what others are getting.

Personally my bone stock 2007 gets 13-15 daily suburban driving. On a recent 500 mile road trip I averaged a bit over 17. Over 400 of the 500 was highway driving. I'm not unhappy with my MPG, but I have noticed that if I'm stuck in traffic or just going through fast food drive thru windows MPG drops. I would expect anyone that has to crawl through any type of traffic will have lower MPG with these 5.4 Expeditions.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on your roof rack, is the water tank mounted on it? I know from driving service vehicles that a roof rack really hurts mpg. A roof rack with ladders is even worse.

Example: 2 identical 2019 Ford transits with the 3.5 eco, one with a ladder rack, one without. My van with a ladder rack would get 13ish, the one without the rack would get 17.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wind resistance is def your enemy, more so than load. My 2011 with 20” stock wheels gets between 14 and 15 daily driving with a combo of around town and highway.

On a dedicated highway trip at running 75 with no trailer and nothing on the roof, I get 17 to 18 depending on the terrain.

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, looking for real mpg numbers to compare them against mines. I have been doing some 500 mike trips on my 5.4 2007 ssv, to both the beach and a hunting trip. The beach trip was pretty flat driving with AC on all the time. The hunting trip was a mix of elevation changes and alot of 4lo crawling. On the freeway I do 70 mph as the mud tread putts you to sleep at 75 mph.
Average I got was 11.8mph.
This is with a 3/2” lift, on 35” tires on method 17” wheels so not really heavy. Have a roofrack and 17 gallon water tank I use plus coolers full of ice and 4 people. Is this MPG about what I should expect?
I have a 2007. 3/2 lift and 35's also.
12-13 mpg around town is what I use.
On highways, best mpg is 50-60 mph.
Over 65 mph, you are going to burn through fuel fast.

DeafBringer

Reaction score
bone stock 2012 XL trim with factory 18" wheels, 11-11.8 with 116k miles. Really frustrating.

shoro60

Reaction score
My 2010 Limited 5.4 gets an average of 13.9 mixed between city and highway traffic. On road trips, I peg the cruise at 75 MPH and get between 15-16 MPG with four/five adults and our luggage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65