Real world MPG results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

dsmless

Reaction score
Remove that rack and see what you get!
Funny you mention the rack. The milage pre rack was 12.1mpg and now its 11.8mpg so not a big leep.
On my recent hunting trip I had a whole bunch of crap strapped ontop, from tent to propane tank to spare tire and foldup cots. Still the same 11.8mpg.
Full tank range is 303 miles, this really makes me wonder about using the empty spare tire space for some type of auxillary fuel tank.

reklaw

Reaction score
I picked up an '08 King Rach with HD tow package last year. Took it from Pennsylvania to Myrtle Beach and averaged about 17.9 over all for the week. First fill up going south I got 19.1 so I was really happy replacing my '04 Explorer with this. Anyway, towed a pop-up to Orlando then over Thanksgiving and averaged around 13. Since then I have upgraded to a 28 foot travel trailer and I only average around 10 towing that.
Daily driving which 4 days a week is about 20 miles highway and 11 miles back roads I average in the 15 range.

rlhaberm

Reaction score
Until I hit 90K a couple months ago I was getting 17-18 City and around 20 mpg on highway trips running 70-75 mph. Not sure what changed as recently I’ve been getting 14-15 in city, and just averaged 16.3 from Ok thru Charlotte to Washington DC. When pulling my 4,500# boat at Hwy speeds it would drop to around 16. Haven’t pulled it since this started happening. 2017 Platinum w 3.5L Ecoboost, 22” all terrain tires.

ktjones1212

Reaction score
bone stock 2008 EL EB edition. 16-17 mpg, mix of in town / highway driving. 220K miles. I RARELY go over 60 mph (and yes, I AM in the right / slow lane)

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2004 EB, 5.4 L will get 17.2 on the highway @ 70 mph with AC on and no head wind. If I bump it up to 80 mph, it drops to 15.8 mpg. Mixed driving 35% city and 65% highway the computer says 15.4.

night vision

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expedition Limited EL with a 32 gallon tank. I get about 16 miles per gallon on the highway...much less around town with constant stopping and going. On a full tank, the computer reports that I have about 523 miles to empty.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny you mention the rack. The milage pre rack was 12.1mpg and now its 11.8mpg so not a big leep.
On my recent hunting trip I had a whole bunch of crap strapped ontop, from tent to propane tank to spare tire and foldup cots. Still the same 11.8mpg.
Full tank range is 303 miles, this really makes me wonder about using the empty spare tire space for some type of auxillary fuel tank.
Was the computer told it had 35 inch tires on it?

OP
OP
D

dsmless

Reaction score
Was the computer told it had 35 inch tires on it?
Actually, I had my weekly dumb moment. Forgot all about the tryed and true method of finding the actual MPG. At my next fill up Im going to reset my mile trip counter and just note how much gallons it takes to fill up at the next fillup. This gallons divided by my milage on my trip counter will tell me my exact MPG.
Stay tuned for results………….. cant win them all.