How capable would you consider your 4x4 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
It's heavy and it sucks ass in mud, but in snow this effin thing hauls ass. Or maybe it's just my tires....

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The weight does good in snow and ice. But it needs a limited slip minimum. For mud and sand lockers.

CJ

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what happens when the world wants crossovers, and moms are too cool for minivans. They went from badass, body on frame, small, RWD small SUVs to unibody, FWD crossovers shaped like eggs. Available AWD, but its not 4WD, which is what matters. The new explorers are hideous too
This is why we are looking at the new Expedition or Navigator, real 4x4 and 2 speed transfer case and it can haul a family and gear comfortably. We looked at the Explorer but the AWD was a deal breaker as we are reacing a Subaru. Don't get me wrong, the Subaru has faired well on our off pavement adventures (excepts for a few times the AWD wouldnt get the job done) but it's small, has no power.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL...yes, it is a beast in the snow, especially if you have some tires with some meat on them. That year I took my son out, I let him drive and it was so funny cause he nearly had to stand to see over the wheel! He couldn't believe that his dad was letting him do doughnuts in the snow-covered parking lot. I put it in 4HI for him and told him to stay "in it" but not to over-rev it...we both had a blast!

After buying my new truck last Nov. I was PRAYING for deep snow this past winter. I couldn't wait to "try out" my new truck but we never got more than 2" so I still don't know how my '17 is going to do but I have removed the black lower cowling from under the front bumper because it was going to either get ripped off by a parking lot concrete bumper or deep snow would have ripped it out so I removed it and hung it in the garage.

I never tried mountains of rocks and crap but at Lexington Ohio each year at the Vintage days bike event, it always rains making for some pretty epic mud holes and considering the weight, I wouldn't try really deep mud...anything over 6" would keep me out. I've driven my old ones('99 & '03EB) through 18" deep mud/water puddles staying on the gas so water didn't get into the exhaust but nothing deeper.

jeff

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeff after hearing that I kind of want to do the same with my truck. Praying for good snow this year then :D

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well... it can drive straight lines anywhere in downtown LA without slowing down, not bottoming out or blowing up your wheels

....which is actually a lot more impressive than it sounds if you've never been

GrayStone

Reaction score
I have been out 4 wheeling with jeeps (7 to be exact) and was able to keep up with them. But, I have modified my 2003 with a 3" lift, 34" KO2 BFGoodrich all terrain tires, lowered my gears to 4:56 and fully locked.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How do you like those gears? I've really been considering those. Did it change your mileage?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65