How capable would you consider your 4x4 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Expeditions are pretty much same as a 4x4 pickup. The 1st gen had the highest ground clearance. The newer models are getting lower, for soccer moms. Mine goes through deep Buffalo snow, with no problem. No shoveling required, to get out of driveway. I only used 4Whi and 4Wlo a few times. Goodyear Wranglers, do alright and are not too loud. I only got briefly stuck on ice. The truck slid off driveway and had a rear wheel on grass. The other three were on hard packed ice/snow. All four wheels spun and would not grip.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expeditions are pretty much same as a 4x4 pickup. The 1st gen had the highest ground clearance. The newer models are getting lower, for soccer moms.

First gen 4X4 had 8.75 inch ground clearance. My 3rd gen has 8.70. The 2018 Navigator has 9.6 inch ground clearance for 4X4, 9.7 for 2WD.

Practice is at 7 tonight, its your turn to bring the Gator Aid.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
First gen 4X4 had 8.75 inch ground clearance. My 3rd gen has 8.70. The 2018 Navigator has 9.6 inch ground clearance for 4X4, 9.7 for 2WD.

Practice is at 7 tonight, its your turn to bring the Gator Aid.
I can easily get under mine, with no jack. Probably 12-13", same F150 for that year. My Mustang GT has 7" and no way Expedition only 1.75" higher. You have bad info. Ford intentionally lowered it in 2003 and front air dam on 2018, is lowest of any year.

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well... it can drive straight lines anywhere in downtown LA without slowing down, not bottoming out or blowing up your wheels
That's good news. I'm moving there in around a week. I'm taking my Dad's Limited, since I don't need as comfy a truck on paved roads compared to our potholley dirt road.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's good news. I'm moving there in around a week. I'm taking my Dad's Limited, since I don't need as comfy a truck on paved roads compared to our potholley dirt road.

Calling DTLA "paved" suggests you've never been...

It WAS paved, sometime around when Eisenhower was President....

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Expeditions are pretty much same as a 4x4 pickup. The 1st gen had the highest ground clearance. The newer models are getting lower, for soccer moms. Mine goes through deep Buffalo snow, with no problem. No shoveling required, to get out of driveway. I only used 4Whi and 4Wlo a few times. Goodyear Wranglers, do alright and are not too loud. I only got briefly stuck on ice. The truck slid off driveway and had a rear wheel on grass. The other three were on hard packed ice/snow. All four wheels spun and would not grip.
I thought 1st gens actually had the lowest ground clearance thanks to the live axle hanging out back

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know it the earlier 3rd gen had them but I removed the removable front air dam last winter in case we got some deep snow. I would rather be able to reinstall it from it's hanger on the garage wall then to have it torn off in the snow.

jeff