How hard is it to take apart one of the doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I've been hard at work on my Expy so far this year! My weird performance problems are still a thing, sadly (Horrible MPG, performance is sometimes not there, it's been misfiring a few times) but I'm hoping to eventually get someone who knows more than I do to look at it.

My brakes are also... shaking the car, it's kinda spooky when slowing down feels like really-slow-ABS lol.

Anyway, I might be useless when it comes to the engine but I have fixed some other junk! One of my mudflaps got ripped off thanks to me getting stuck in the snow (I got out just fine though) and recently I managed to bolt it back on. I stubbornly bolted all the holes, too, because for some reason it reeeeally didn't want to line up with the sidesteps! The drivers' side one doesn't line up either, but I think I might leave it alone because if I step my 480 pound self onto there, after attaching it to the mudflap, I might rip the darn thing off! :(

Anyway, that wasn't the only problem... you know how the hood latch has two springs in it? The big one and then the smaller one that actually lets it click shut? Well, the small one broke, and after driving around with bungee cords holding the hood shut, I fixed it myself. I don't think the spring I used was the exact right one, I hurt myself, and boy my poor paint has suffered, but it's fixed, darn it.

Oh, and my air filter, despite saying K&N on it, was actually a really old.... not K&N filter! I took it out, and me and dad went to AutoZone and snatched one that resembles the old K&N filter, so maybe that'll help somewhat. It sure was hard getting it to close with the new one in, though >_<

Since I managed to pull those off, I feel safe enough to try fixing my Window. See, the drivers side window is trying to push itself forwards instead of upwards, and not only does that make it slow as hell, but I'm worried I'll burn out the motor. And, well, I don't think windows are supposed to have half an inch of give when you grab it and shake it around.

So, about how hard would it be to take apart the door and... somehow re-align the window so that it doesn't rattle around in there?

I'd probably fix my own brakes too, those seem easier than hunting down a mysterious engine problem, but I don't have a good jack, a good place to do it, (surely not our gravel driveway!), and I don't wanna risk messing up the thing that keeps me from hitting a tree goin' 60.

Oh yeah, I also got my dad's poor jeep out of the snow when he got stuck in the same spot that claimed my poor, poor mudflap.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its not hard, but from what I'm reading about you diagnosing and fixing simple things like a hood latch spring, you might want to consider having someone with low labor rates tackle it. Really, bungee cords to hold down a hood, because of a latch? You can buy a whole latch assembly off eBay, and just bolt it on.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expedition is the first vehicle I've owned wherein I have not (yet) taken the door apart, but I've never had one where the job was difficult. However, being the gorilla that I am, I usually try to make sure I have some extra panel clips on hand as I often damage them. It's also quite possible that someone else damaged them previously if the panel was removed at some time in the past. I think damaging/breaking those clips is the most likely issue you would encounter (though things can go horribly awry if you're really not at all handy). You can pick up a couple dozen generics on eBay/Amazon for $5-6.

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its not hard, but from what I'm reading about you diagnosing and fixing simple things like a hood latch spring, you might want to consider having someone with low labor rates tackle it. Really, bungee cords to hold down a hood, because of a latch? You can buy a whole latch assembly off eBay, and just bolt it on.

You were fortunately much more polite than I would have been had I seen and responded to this thread first. I like you am beating my head against the desktop as I think about bungee cords to hold a hood shut.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Better than duct tape! When you got to get somewhere and don't have another convenient vehicle you got to do what you got to do.....
But you should fix it the next day. Lots of times the hood latch just needs lubed up real good.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Well, now I feel dumb for not thinking of just doing that... I guess I just didn't consider the idea of buying a whole latch instead of just the spring!

I mean, I did fix it for 25 cents that way, I'm trying to fix the small stuff myself to hopefully save the money, after all.

I just checked ebay, a new latch assembly thingy is about 30 dollars, that's a lot more than a quarter! And I only hurt myself once in the process...

Right, I usually prefer a ratchet strap, over a bungee cord! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

We don't have any of those :(

Better than duct tape! When you got to get somewhere and don't have another convenient vehicle you got to do what you got to do.....
But you should fix it the next day. Lots of times the hood latch just needs lubed up real good.

Yeah, duct tape would do a whole lot worse to the paint than those cords ever could! But it didn't need lubed, one of the actual springs inside broke.

The Expedition is the first vehicle I've owned wherein I have not (yet) taken the door apart, but I've never had one where the job was difficult. However, being the gorilla that I am, I usually try to make sure I have some extra panel clips on hand as I often damage them. It's also quite possible that someone else damaged them previously if the panel was removed at some time in the past. I think damaging/breaking those clips is the most likely issue you would encounter (though things can go horribly awry if you're really not at all handy). You can pick up a couple dozen generics on eBay/Amazon for $5-6.

That sounds like a good plan, I'd probably break a good amount of those things taking it apart lol

Is it even possible to adjust the window's tracks though, or am I gonna have to get new ones or something? Heck, from what I can tell, my problem's with the upper half of the door anyway, since that's where the glass has problems.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Open the door and there is a screw on the side of the door... there are 2 screws on the bottom of the door under the slot to put stuff... lastly... there are 2 screws inside the door handle...u will need a flathead to pop the piece out.... lock the doors... pop the window switch and lock switch... lastly... the door handle... pop the cover around the handle then lift the entire door up...u have to clear the lock handle in the corner of the window

Reverse to put back on

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk